Airport Extreme & Express Together

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz
Hey people I am trying to set up a better wireless network at home.

Currently I have my ADSL modem plugged into my Airport Express sending out my signal wirelessly to all my laptops. Also connected to the Airport Express is my printer and stereo to allow for Airtunes & Wireless printing.

I have just gone and bought an Airport Extreme so that I can now also have a HDD connected to it to use for TimeMachine backups and general storage for the laptops.

What I am planning to do is use the Airport Extreme to deal with the internet, HDD & Printer. Then use the Airport Express to take care of the Airtunes.

So after that massive spiel about what I have and what I am trying to does anyone know the best way to achieve this? Just not entirely sure how to go about setting it up.

Thanks in advance ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
It sounds logical, but I don't know about the 2 different routers. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking, so I wouldn't be able to say much. =/

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz
I know it can be done, although getting the person in the shop to come home and configure it all for me might be a little hard.

He was telling me I can bridge them to gain greater signal strength or set the aiport express up as a client of the airport extreme..

Just not entirly sure how to go about it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz
It's ok I have managed to do it.

Quite simple really. Basically you set up the Extreme first and make that your main network and then add the Express it it as a client. Just follow the onscreen insutructions in the Airport utility and it will work out just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.