My first iBook

A

alf

Just bought my first iBook 2 days ago...
Another switch from Microsoft Windows to :mac:

I have a few questions regarding Mac and my iBook.
1. I found that the left side of the touch pad is quite hot after awhile, is it normal?
2. Can anyone suggest me a mac tutorial website since I am totally new to Mac.
3. I tried to install a application using dmg file but then I wanted to delete the dmg file, the application also got deleted? Meaning I have to keep the dmg file and the shortcut on my desktop as well? I found it's annoying for doing that... :(
4. I tried to take out the battery and power on my iBook with the power adaptor but I find that the clock is no longer working. The iBook doen't have it's own cell battery for the clock to work and it need the iBook battery all the time?

Appreciate all replies...
Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I'll take number three. The .dmg file is a disk image. Once you have it on your desktop, open it up and copy the application to where you want it. After you have copied the application to the desired locate you can remove/delete the .dmg file my either unmounting it or my dragging it to the trash can.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looking at number four. If I understand you right. You remove the battery and the power adapter cord. You would loose the clock setting if this is done. One of the items need to be plugged in.

OP
A

alf

First of all, thanks for the reply.

About the battery, meaning there is no internal cell battery to power the clock? I took out the battery when using power cord, this is due to the reason that if I plug in the power cord, it will keep recharging my ibook battery and from what I know about IBM laptop, this will shortened the life of the laptop battery. Correct me if I am wrong.

Can anyone suggest me a method if I taken out my ibook battery without have to reset the date every time I switch on my ibook?

Thanks

OP
S

SamR

I've had similar problems with the clock on my powerbook. When I completely drain the battery and it shuts down, when I restart it, the clock is reset to 1969. However, I took the battery out one time to experiment and when I put it back in the clock was just as it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No, the iBook (and 12" PowerBook) do not have an internal clock/PRAM battery. You must either 1) keep the battery in the 'Book or 2) keep the 'Book plugged in while the battery is removed to maintain the time/location settings.

The bigger PowerBooks, if I'm not mistaken, do have internal batteries. In fact, you can actually put them to sleep and remove the internal battery for up to three minutes without shutting down. This is extremely useful if you have more than one battery and want to swap while, for example, flying across an ocean, without loosing your place in a DVD. I wish I could do that....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
alf said:
First of all, thanks for the reply.

About the battery, meaning there is no internal cell battery to power the clock? I took out the battery when using power cord, this is due to the reason that if I plug in the power cord, it will keep recharging my ibook battery and from what I know about IBM laptop, this will shortened the life of the laptop battery. Correct me if I am wrong.

to the best of my knowlege the batter stops recharging after it is full. then just runs off of the power cord in order to refrain from overcharging the battery. -been runnin my powerbook under this idea for 2 years and still get battery life (i think it might mention this in your manual under battery stuff)

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
coach_z said:
to the best of my knowlege the batter stops recharging after it is full. then just runs off of the power cord in order to refrain from overcharging the battery. -been runnin my powerbook under this idea for 2 years and still get battery life (i think it might mention this in your manual under battery stuff)

-chris

Right. Look at the light on your power cord: Orange indicates charging; green indicates power only. Alternatively, look at the battery icon in the menubar.

OP
A

alf

OK, thanks for all clarification.
Now, I can put my battery back to ibook now.... :)
Hopefully I will be enjoying using my ibook ;)

OP
S

SamR

well since mine is the 15", would it have an internal clock battery? Would that explain it resetting the clock after the battery is drained?

OP
D

Desolate One

alf said:
Just bought my first iBook 2 days ago...
Another switch from Microsoft Windows to :mac:

I have a few questions regarding Mac and my iBook.
1. I found that the left side of the touch pad is quite hot after awhile, is it normal?
2. Can anyone suggest me a mac tutorial website since I am totally new to Mac.
3. I tried to install a application using dmg file but then I wanted to delete the dmg file, the application also got deleted? Meaning I have to keep the dmg file and the shortcut on my desktop as well? I found it's annoying for doing that... :(
4. I tried to take out the battery and power on my iBook with the power adaptor but I find that the clock is no longer working. The iBook doen't have it's own cell battery for the clock to work and it need the iBook battery all the time?

Appreciate all replies...
Thanks.

I didn't see anyone touch upon 1 or 2. 1) That's where the HDD is. 2) Best way is to learn by doing. Or O'Reily books. I believe I saw one on OS X @ the Apple store last I was there.

OP
A

alf

OK, thanks for all the replies.

Happy to join this forum cause all of you are very helpful :)

OP
S

SamR

technologist said:
No, the iBook (and 12" PowerBook) do not have an internal clock/PRAM battery. You must either 1) keep the battery in the 'Book or 2) keep the 'Book plugged in while the battery is removed to maintain the time/location settings.

The bigger PowerBooks, if I'm not mistaken, do have internal batteries. In fact, you can actually put them to sleep and remove the internal battery for up to three minutes without shutting down. This is extremely useful if you have more than one battery and want to swap while, for example, flying across an ocean, without loosing your place in a DVD. I wish I could do that....

So would it be abnormal for my clock to reset itself after restarting from losing battery power? When the battery runs out it shuts itself down instead of going to sleep like what others I have used do. However, when I put it to sleep and remove the battery, when I put it back in, it keeps the time correct. By the way it's a 15" PB

OP

41driver

I just got my 12 inch iBook G4 yesterday. I love it. I was pretty sure that I would like it better than PCs, but it's even better than I thought. Anyway, I bought The Missing Manual by David Pogue. It's been helping me quite a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.