Could someone explain installing software?

Reaction score
I just switched to a mac. I have the 2.4ghz MacBook Pro. What is the deal with installing software. I tried to install VLC media player. It installed but when I dragged the VLC boot drive icon on the desktop to the trash, VLC will not work. Do I have to install it each time I want to use it? I don't want all the drives showing up on my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Google can....

http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYutWnmk_8c

You never installed it. You opened the DMG file for it and ran it from there. You then deleted that file when you drug it to the trash

You want to check the above links. Opening a DMG file is like mounting a drive on your desktop. You then drag the application from inside there to your applications folder. Then you eject the mounted DMG file and then delete the original DMG. You can then run it from the applications folder or drag it to the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
not sure but...maybe need to leave disk in the disk drive?

sorry best i can do

Reaction score
With VLC (and msot other programs), they come in a .dmg format. This means that when you double click it, the mac will pretend like you just inserted a cd in, and you'll notice that the program you just opened is now in the finder as a sort of "CD Drive".

If you open that then the program icon is inside. Drag the icon to your applications folder, and thats all there is to installing.

You should also press the eject icon beside the virtual cd drive to get rid of it, and then delete the dmg file or save it for future use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
smcgil9899,

As deathcab1 suggested, you could save your .dmg files for possible future use. I created a dmg folder in my applications folder and drag all my .dmg files there in case something happens to my app, I can re-install it without having to download it again.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Burn all my .dmg files on to a DVD-RW disc so you have them at hand if an install is ever required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Most applications will have updated versions when and if you need to redo an install. Unless it is a registered or purchased copy that includes a serial I would not bother saving the DMG files. It is in your best interest to get the most recent version when you need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.