Bootcamp Issues cannot install XP on macbook 2.4

Reaction score
hello,

i currently have a brand new macbook computer and decided i wanted to put boot camp on it , after succesfully partitioning the drive it asked me to put the windows disc in ... after going through the blue screen windows setup a few times and nothing happening after. (i later relized i had to partition the drive to NFTS or FAT and not leave it be). After relizing this i put the cd in again to do it properly but since then it will no longer go to the blue windows setup screen. At each start up it goes to a white screen with the windows chime sound .. the cd drive makes noise as if its reading the disc then after a lil time it goes to a straight black screen (for awhile it had a cursor at the top left corner but that no longer is happening) .. the cd drive makes a little more noise and is then stuck at that screen. so i thought the simplest solution would be to format the mac and try this all over again with the 2.0 installer instead of the 1.4 beta. so i formatted and partitioned again with the new 2.0 installer , i then tried 2 separate versions of windows one with the sp3 and the other being student professional sp2. both do the same chime sound to white screen to black screen. i am hoping for a solution here as when i originally tried i was so close but did not format... now i cant even get back to that screen !

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance !

***i am using a macbook 2.4 with 2gb of ram to do this***

Reaction score
Hi,

i am having similar problems regarding boot camp.
I tried multiple times yesterday to install windows xp pro sp.2 on my mac book pro using boot camp, but everytime it was halfway through the installation, when it restarts, the screen would say disk error. after several minutes of swearing and wanting to throw my computer, i gave up.

trying again today, (i am not very good with computers) i cannot even figure out how to open boot camp assistant.
i can open boot camp, but there are all these file folders under boot camp, including windows.

Someone PLEASE help me figure out how to open boot camp assistant and proceed with the installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.33 & MacBook 2.4 (both White)
Reset your PRAM

Hi, I had exactly the same problem on my MacBook 2.4

resetting the PRAM did the trick for me.

just hold down command+option+p+r right after a (re)start.

hope this helps!
Arjan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
hello,

i currently have a brand new macbook computer and decided i wanted to put boot camp on it , after succesfully partitioning the drive it asked me to put the windows disc in ... after going through the blue screen windows setup a few times and nothing happening after. (i later relized i had to partition the drive to NFTS or FAT and not leave it be). After relizing this i put the cd in again to do it properly but since then it will no longer go to the blue windows setup screen. At each start up it goes to a white screen with the windows chime sound .. the cd drive makes noise as if its reading the disc then after a lil time it goes to a straight black screen (for awhile it had a cursor at the top left corner but that no longer is happening) .. the cd drive makes a little more noise and is then stuck at that screen. so i thought the simplest solution would be to format the mac and try this all over again with the 2.0 installer instead of the 1.4 beta. so i formatted and partitioned again with the new 2.0 installer , i then tried 2 separate versions of windows one with the sp3 and the other being student professional sp2. both do the same chime sound to white screen to black screen. i am hoping for a solution here as when i originally tried i was so close but did not format... now i cant even get back to that screen !

I guess the first question is why you didn't use the Boot Camp version that was included with your new Macbook which should have come with Leopard. The beta has long expired and will not work.

Also I'm not sure of exactly what you've done? How did you remove the Boot Camp partition that you first created with the 1.4 beta?

The proper procedure is to run the Boot Camp assistant from Leopard, select create partition, select restore. That should remove the partition and restore the entire hard drive back to Leopard. Now you can start over by creating another Boot Camp partition and installing Windows.

The Windows disk has to be either a full install of XP Home\Pro SP2, or Vista. You can not use a recovery or restore disk. That also means no OEM branded recovery\restore disks.

Post back to let us know exactly how you removed the 1.4 beta partition and we can go from there.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.