How do I set up my voicemail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I tried to press and hold "1" but the menu that brought me to did not give me any options to set up my voicemail box, or even visual voicemail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Not all Apple information is found on this website. Always give Google a shot, it's easy to forget that when you come here for everything else.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1486

Though questions like this are the reason it's incredibly hard to speak to a real customer service person when you actually need to, I can't help but think the more people ask easy questions on the forums, the more people and activity it attracts, and the more likely those who really need help are to get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB
go to "phone" then go to "voicemail" it should ask you to set it up. if not click "greeting" up top and you should be able to set it up.

Reaction score
Though questions like this are the reason it's incredibly hard to speak to a real customer service person when you actually need to, I can't help but think the more people ask easy questions on the forums, the more people and activity it attracts, and the more likely those who really need help are to get it.

This is true too. Just goes to show the variety of people out there on the internet. Call my a "typical" guy if you will, but I ask for help as a last resort. Haha.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
go to "phone" then go to "voicemail" it should ask you to set it up. if not click "greeting" up top and you should be able to set it up.

When I click "Voicemail" it calls the voicemail system and I do not see any option to click "Greeting". The voice prompts me to enter the voicemail number I wish to leave a message for, but even after entering my own number it says it does not recognize it.

And sorry if my question is a bother to some of you, but I thought that's what these types of places were for; helping others in the same field of interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
AT&T did not setup your voicemail correctly on your account. Call them and have them redo it.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
AT&T did not setup your voicemail correctly on your account. Call them and have them redo it.

I did and they referred me to Apple Support, but 30+ minutes later on hold I got ****** and hung up. I have a 0900 appt. tomorrow at the Apple Store to have them look at it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I did and they referred me to Apple Support, but 30+ minutes later on hold I got ****** and hung up. I have a 0900 appt. tomorrow at the Apple Store to have them look at it...

It's going to be on ATT's end. They will probably tell you to call up ATT.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Ha! Figures...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Ha! Figures...

Yeah.

I had something similar happen on my T-Mobile account (non-iphone). It would welcome me to the voicemail system and ask me to put the number i wanted to leave a voicemail for. When I entered the number it said it wasn't recognized.

I would call ATT again and tell them the problem one more time. They simply need to set up the voicemail again (that is what T-Mobile had to do for me).

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I just got off of AT&T support and they couldn't help me. They tried but to no avail. Supposedly when you tap the "Voicemail" icon it is supposed to bring you to a setup screen, right? Well mine doesn't, it just automatically calls out to the voicemail system which does me no good because I don't have a voicemail box setup!!!

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
What if I did a restore via iTunes on my iPhone? Hmmm...might just have to try the ol' wipe clean and start anew theory...

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I'm good to go! Went and met w/ a Mac Genius this morning and he set me up, not sure what exactly he did though but it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
He probably clicked on voicemail and then on setup and set the voicemail up :)

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
He probably clicked on voicemail and then on setup and set the voicemail up :)

Not so much, we tried that together to begin with as well as me on my own beforehand. And if it was that easy I wouldn't have brought it in.

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. When I click the voicemail or press and hold the 1 key nothing happens. I'm going to call my local AT&T store and see if they can help.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I'm having a similar problem. When I click the voicemail or press and hold the 1 key nothing happens. I'm going to call my local AT&T store and see if they can help.

When I did that they were unable to resolve my problem. I had to take it in to my local Apple Store and they reset it for me, been good ever since.

Reaction score
When I did that they were unable to resolve my problem. I had to take it in to my local Apple Store and they reset it for me, been good ever since.

Ah that's a hour drive on my hands then... Do you think a system restore could fix it?

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Mmm, maybe. I think I tried that and no luck, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.