Windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 200GB Hard Drive 4GB Ram
ok i just bought a version of windows xp for my macbook pro and it says "upgrade" on the side of the box does that mean its ONLY an upgrade and not the actual OS? i havent tried installing it using bootcamp yet cuz i dont wanna nuke my macbook pro haha also is there any guides to setting up xp on a mac using bootcamp? and do i just use a regular disk to save the drivers to or what ever your suppose to do during the bootcamp process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Instructions

It specifically says to use a full install disc.

The drivers for windows are on your restore disc or Leopard DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
XXBobbXX

Go to your Applications/Utility folder and find the Boot Camp Assistant.app and open it up. On that first page you'll see the button to print the guide, Print Installation & Setup Guide. It will tell exactly what you need and how to install, etc. it's 25 pages long but you can print it as a pdf and read on your MBP. It's worth reading the whole thing to do it right.

Noel

EDIT: Sorry, MacsWork, didn't realize you had pointed XXBobbXX at the same guide...

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 200GB Hard Drive 4GB Ram
shoot...ok how can i tell if its the full version? or better yet where can i find it? n thanx guys i really appreciate your time and effort :)

Reaction score
I believe you will need a single-disc, standalone version of XP SP2. The upgrade version only works (if I recall correctly) if there is a prior version of windows on the computer. You can purchase a new, standalone OEM version of XP SP2 online for a relatively modest price, I got mine from newegg.com. I have heard also that single disc XP SP3 versions also work.

The instructions are pretty specific about that. This forum is full of posts from people who tried to install XP from discs that don't meet the requirements ... not pretty. :) Definitely READ THE PDF and follow it exactly. This is not a time to assume you can figure it out as you go, some of it is a bit counter-intuitive.

Alternatively, you could download free trial versions of either Parallels or Fusion, and then try your XP install with them as a virtual machine, using the XP disc you have. You might be able to get what you have to work that way, at no extra cost. But I would not try boot camp without a standalone XP SP2 disc.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Lets be clear about this: an upgrade disc requires a previously installed version of Windows, OR a full previous version of Windows CD ROM, to be used.

This applies to any install, including Parallels and VM Fusion. If you try a clean install of an XP upgrade disc on Parallels for example, it will ask for you to put in the original disc prior to installation. This is not just a technical restriction, it's an EULA one too.

Bootcamp will ask the same question (assuming your upgrade disc is at least SP2), and the only way to show a previous version is to have it on an external CD-ROM drive, as you cannot eject the XP disc without cancelling the install.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007061814524541

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so is this what i need?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

if not please point me to the right one thanx :)

oh also i'm using windows for gaming other wise i would not use windows haha but on that note...how many GB's should i partition when i do?

That is an OEM version, which should only be used for installation on new hardware meant for resale.

Depending on how many games you'll want to install at once, I think 30 GBs is a healthy amount. You'll have to decide how much space you'll want to dedicate to each OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XXBobbXX,

Zoolook is correct about OEM software. That said, the OEM version can also be installed on your Mac if it doesn't get installed anywhere else; ie, single installation.

So yes, you can use that OEM version. It's the same one I bought from Newegg and used. I also have OEM XP software installed on PCs that I have built for myself. If you install it on your Mac, you are considered the system builder and are responsible for maintenance of the installation.

Many folks on Mac-Forums have bought that same software from Newegg, so I would feel comfortable using it in Boot Camp.

I would say 32GB is the max you should partition for Windows... I read somewhere that more than that complicates exchange between Windows and Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Yes, that item will work. It's what I bought and am using with no problems. The partition sizing is flexible but I agree with Noels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XXBobbXX,

Zoolook is correct about OEM software. That said, the OEM version can also be installed on your Mac if it doesn't get installed anywhere else; ie, single installation.

So yes, you can use that OEM version. It's the same one I bought from Newegg and used. I also have OEM XP software installed on PCs that I have built for myself. If you install it on your Mac, you are considered the system builder and are responsible for maintenance of the installation.

Many folks on Mac-Forums have bought that same software from Newegg, so I would feel comfortable using it in Boot Camp.

Not quite.

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

A full priced retail version of XP can also only be installed on one machine. Lets be clear about this, because this is one of the main reasons OS X is such great value. $129 for 5 licenses...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolook,

Thanks for the clarification.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.