Dashboard...Am I missing something here?

Reaction score
New Mac guy as of two weeks ago...

By default, my dashboard has weather, a clock, a calculator and something else...

To be honest, these are all things I will never use...(I added a Chuck Norris Widget, but so what, lol?)

How does everyone here use their dashboard? Any suggestions?

(Including screen shots would also be excellent if you don't mind!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Nah i dont use the dashboard, it is possible to disable it compleatly with this command, you have to type it in the Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
killall Dock

If you want to activate it again you just type the same line but replace YES with NO, good luck :)

T

todd51

I have the iStat Pro widget, which monitors my CPU temps, fan speeds, etc. I think that it is a MUST have for the dashboard. I also have some stickie notes, dictionary and businesses lookups. The calculator comes in handy at times and I also use the IP widget so that I know what my external IP and router IP address is with on click of the mouse.

EDIT: You must be able to find SOMETHING of your liking here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I use the following on my dashboard stocks, to do, and stickies. i used to use istat pro but recently switched to istat menus. i would highly recommend either istat program. i occasionally use flight tracker (only on when i have to fly) and delivery status when i order something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I love my iStat pro, I like knowing how fast my fans are running. ;P
I also have the weather and translation widgets, which I sometimes use / look at. I left the calculator and the clock there, but I never use them (when I need a calculator I use the regular one, from the applications folder, because I need all those functions that the simple widget calc. doesn't have).

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I use it for notes very handy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
iStat
Dictionary (although I use spotlight for this most of the time)
Unit Converter
Calculator (although I use spotlight for this most of the time)
Weather
Calendar
Sticky notes
OSX Tutorials
Wikipedia
WRW - WorldRadio Widget

There are loads to suit most people, check out Apple Dashboard Widgets for more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
I use the regulars ( iStat, Conversion, Business, & People Search). Also i use a netflix widget that is very handy for managing your queue, and Live Scores by streaming scores for keeping up with MLB scores, along with any other major sport league.

Reaction score
istat pro, stickies, calendar and calculator. Dashboard is set to mouse4 for me, so it's easy to click and use/see whatever I need. I wouldn't mind if some dashboard apps just lived on the desktop though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
istat pro, stickies, calendar and calculator. Dashboard is set to mouse4 for me, so it's easy to click and use/see whatever I need. I wouldn't mind if some dashboard apps just lived on the desktop though.

There actually is a command that you can type into terminal so you can have some of your widgets on your desktop, i just can't remember it lol.

Well i have istat pro, the clock, the weather, once in awhile the calculator, and i have a little lava lamp for some ZEN moods lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Drag the Dashboard icon to the Dock and just single click there for the widgets to pop open. Use weather, currency converter, ISP broadband usage for the month and snazzy calender, time and calculator widgets.

Reaction score
New Mac guy as of two weeks ago...

By default, my dashboard has weather, a clock, a calculator and something else...

To be honest, these are all things I will never use...(I added a Chuck Norris Widget, but so what, lol?)

How does everyone here use their dashboard? Any suggestions?

(Including screen shots would also be excellent if you don't mind!)

I have a couple of Stickies to remind me of passwords, usernames and stuff like that, which can come in handy personally since I am rather forgetful at times. Also, I use this to keep a tab on who borrowed DVDs and books from me.

Like everybody else, I also have iStatPro on my Dashboard. It helps me to track what my iMac is doing and how much capacity it has left. Just basic information for me to know how my iMac is doing. Very useful.

I have the Chuck Norris widget too. For kicks.

I have the Dictionary, and I find it very, very useful. Just pop in a word and I get to find it in the dictionary or the thesaurus.

I also have a nifty widget called Amazon Art. What it does is that it automatically adds album artwork into the entire album that is playing in iTunes. I find that very useful to me personally.

I have two widgets that update me about new Mac or Leopard tricks everyday, and I do find a few tips or two every once in a while that I find to be helpful.

Oh, and the translator. It's just nice to know that language isn't barrier for me. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.