Please Help With Boot Camp!

Reaction score
Hi, I have windows xp and I want to use boot camp. So partioned the thing and then clicked install, in the boot camp assistant. Then it shut down to install windows, but it came up with a black scree with a little, blinking underscore line at the top left. And then it just stays there, doing nothing. And the keyboard won't do anything. Please help me solve this problem! Please!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using a correct version of XP? It has to be a full install (not upgrade) contained on a single disk, of XP SP2. It can not be a restore disk or recovery disk.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Can you boot into OS X if you turn it off an on again?

Doesn't Windows spend a while with that blinking underscore before it starts installing a few minutes later?

OP
Y
Reaction score
When the blinking line is blinking away, doing it's thing, I can hold down the power button to restart it (that's the only way I can get out of it). And I also tired leaving it there blinking, hoping it would do something, but after ten minutes, it was still blinking away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Sounds like you have a corrupt windows xp disk.

OP
Y
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! (in slow motion)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
yarjarrarr, Call Microsoft, they should exchange your XP disk.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Great news everybody! I finally got it working! I read that if you press a button right when the black screen comes up, it will start working. So I tried it, and it didn't work. But then I tried it again and it worked! BUT, now in winodws, the backlit keyboard is always on. I installed the drivers and it didn't help. Please help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.