2.0 to get apps then Unlock?

Reaction score
Hi, Im going to be buying a used unlocked 16 gig first gen soon, and I was wondering if its possible to update to 2.0 and download apps and then jailbreak it (when the pwnage tool is released) and keep those apps.

Thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
I guess not? I guess what Im asking is, is when you jailbreak the iphone, it doesnt let you download apps anymore (even on wifi?) because you have no internet (except wifi), right? So would it also delete the ones that you download before jailbreaking?

Id like the free apps such as shazam, ebay, pandora, etc. but also to be able to customize it alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If jailbreak for the 2.0 firmware works the same as it did on previous firmwares, then by all accounts it should work side-by-side with the App Store and on both Wi-Fi and EDGE/3G. So your official apps should be able to coexist with your Installer apps. However, I'm not sure if jailbreak is even available for the 2.0 software, and if it is, I haven't tried it yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok cool, thats what I figured, just wanted to make sure in case I bought an app.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I dont think the pwnage 2.0 is out yet but it is cracked, so it should be out soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you could do is try it out with a bunch of free apps, and if it doesn't work out then you could stick with the stock 2.0 firmware.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like a good idea.. thanks for the tip!

Oh, I forgot to ask, Im new to iphones, so Im buying a used unlocked one thats still under warranty somehow... if I jailbreak and then format it back to factory settings to get it repaired if something happens, would they notice? I dont see how they could void the warranty if its not shipped back jailbroken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Restoring doesn't get rid of the unlock, only the jailbreak. You would have to "virginize" your phone to re-lock it and then do a restore to bring it back to factory settings before getting warranty work done.

Just so you know, if you're in the US and the phone is jailbroken, it's technically no longer under warranty. ;P

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah I guess Ill worry about that "virginizing" later, since the phone is already unlocked. So people that buy the old iphone unlocked at the higher price technically have no warranty?

"technically," hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to throw this out there. It's not the unlock itself that voids the warranty, it's the process that people use to unlock the phone that's the cause of the voiding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 1st gen 8GB
What's the easiest way to re-lock or virginize?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.