Newbie question(first of many)

C

chintz

yipee got a lovely new 15" PowerBook today.

quick question.

Is it Ok to carry the PB when it is sleep mode, when I say carry I mean, for example transporting to and from work.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Congrats on the awesome purchase. I just got a 15" PowerBook 3 weeks ago and love it.

As far as carrying it around while its in Sleep mode, I carry mine from my den to the downstairs in my house while in Sleep mode but thats it. I think its just too new still for me to 'take chances' and test its limits just yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you should be able to carry it anywhere in sleep mode.

OP
G

General_K

Congrats on the new PB. :mac:

Yes, it's ok to carry your PB around in sleep mode. I never turn mine off, I just put it to sleep, and off to work it goes in my backpack.

chintz said:
yipee got a lovely new 15" PowerBook today.

quick question.

Is it Ok to carry the PB when it is sleep mode, when I say carry I mean, for example transporting to and from work.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Congratz! And yep you can sleep it all the time and carry it as much as you like :alien:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think that it is a lot more convenient to transport in sleep mode, because you don't need to start up the computer while wasting your battery, if your a working off the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, I have friends that take it to school all day, then work and home and just sleep it when not in use, there should be no problems, it uses almost no battery power at all when in sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
My only hesitation about putting it in Sleep mode while transporting it is, I though the hard drive was still active (at a very minimum pace) and carrying it could cause problems with the hard drive. Maybe I'm just too paranoid.

OP
D

Desolate One

I believe I read somewhere on the forums that when the pulsating sleep light comes on it indicates to the user that the notebook is in sleep (drive read heads are docked) and the machine can be transported just fine.

OP
D

danger_boy_13

Yeah, when the sleep light is on, the heads on the drive are docked. My 12" PB has been jostled around quite a bit, carried in bags, etc all while in sleep mode. I always just sleep it when transporting or not in use because the startup is way faster and it is just easier.

OP
T

TylerMoney

I never take mine out of sleep...when I run to the bus because I will miss it if I don't, when I go to school, when I go to church....I take it a lot of places, and it's always asleep...so yeah, I've had no problems with doing that. It's all good.

OP
A

alf

Sorry for my dump question, can anyone tell me how to put it into sleep mode?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when its on, close it, itll go to sleep, or push the power button once, or click the apple in the top left corner and select sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.