Will XP Media Center Edition work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB 667 MHz and 160 GB
i just recently became a Mac convert and purchased a Macbook. I love the ease of use, but I now realize that must use Windows for a few of my work applications. I hate to fork over any more money to MS, so I'm trying to find the cheap way out.

I've read on the Bootcamp instructions that XP SP2 is required for successful install. Digging thru my old Dell desktop stuff (purchased 2005), I have the following OS disk:
Reinstallation DVD - Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2.

Is this the same as XP SP2 with a few extra bells/whistles? Does anyone know if this should work?

Thanks for the help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible it may work. A normal MS boxed version of Media Center does not work because it contains two CDs and as you know, Macs do not have a hardware eject mechanism to expel the first CD and insert the second.

However, from the description you gave it appears your copy is on a single DVD so it may work. But, there's one thing you should be aware of:

It would be a violation of the MS EULA to use an OEM (Dell) copy of the operating system on anything but the machine it was either pre-installed on or sold with.

Regards.

Reaction score
I will caution you that if the disc does NOT work, you're going to run into some potentially difficult issues in a failed boot camp installation. You might be better off trying it first using the free trial versions of Fusion or Parallels, rather than under boot camp.

In any case, you might prefer those because unless there's a particular work-related application that requires you to be in Windows natively, the virtual machines are actually simpler to use, don't require re-booting and you can have your Windows and Mac apps going at the same time.

If you are committed to using boot camp, I think you will likely save yourself a great deal of potential aggravation by purchasing a new, OEM version of XP SP2 from newegg.com or another online vendor. Not that expensive.

Good luck

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB 667 MHz and 160 GB
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably end up buying an OEM version (after reading some of the posts and doing more research). It just sticks in your craw a bit to have to buy Windows after purchasing Mac.

I appreciate the advice the on parallels/VMWare. The only reason I have to use MS is that I have the need to check work e-mail. My job requires that I use a common access card to log on, which is currently only supported through MS software. AArgggh.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
If it's just for email, have you tried MS' Remote Desktop Connection client for the Mac? That's free at the MS site. You should consider that first, and shell out for Windows only if that doesn't work. I use that occasionally if I feel lazy and don't even want to restart my virtual machine ... :) It has limitations too (e.g., won't maximize to full screen) but is serviceable for email and is 100% free.

But if it is just for email, trust me on this (I've been through it) you won't want to reboot every time you check your email - you will much prefer Fusion or Parallels, where you can have your email open while you do other things on your Mac. Way simpler (but there's an added cost to buy those programs too...)

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Media Center Edition 2005 is basically Windows XP Professional SP2 with the Media Center added onto it, I know this for a fact as I've set up many MCE 2005 computers from scratch, the first disc is a basic XP Pro disc.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.