• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Should I get MobileMe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi all,
New Mac user here.

I am trying to decide if I should get MobileMe, but I want to wait a bit for all the wrinkles to be worked out first.

Questions:

1) To my knowledge, .Mac users get an [email protected] email address, does MobileMe give you an @mac.com address, or is something retarted like @mobileme.com?

2) What do you use your 20GB of storage for?

3) Can the 20GB or storage be used just like a regular drive with drag and drop, or do you have to use some web UI to upload all your stuff?

4) Is the online mail client at me.com just for MeMail, or can it be used for IMAP and SMTP?

5) Do you get a domain name for your iWeb?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I just read those of us who have .mac addresses will be able to keep them forever as long as we do not let our accounts go inactive. If we do, we will be switched over to .me and our name will be given back to us IF it has not been reassigned. Most of your questions can be answered at this URL:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
1. .mac is no more. Only people who already had [email protected] get to keep it. So if you sign up for mobileme you get [email protected].

2. Storage is used for backing up things online, you email, your photo gallery, your video gallery, and your websites.

3. Yes, you can even have the drive on your desktop, at least you could in .mac.

4. don't know.

5. Your sites addresses would be something like
http://web.me.com/username/websitetitle/
unless you purchase a domain name from a registry. You can use that name and use your .me account to host.

Reaction score
Is Mobileme worth it?

Before you sign up to a anything, please consider the following...

1. unlike .mac, Mobileme is NOT compatible with older browsers (specifically MS explorer 6 I believe). I am currently travelling around South America, which means as from last week I cannot access mobileme from the majority of internet cafes etc. So NO email, which when you are travelling is an absolute essential. As a work around, I have changed the email settings so that ALL emails get automatically forwarded to my HOTMAIL email.

2. I had originally intended to use .mac storage as a way of backing up my photos while being away, but alas, the transfer speed was so long it was unworkable (again I am using internet cafes and PCs, but to take over 1/2 hour to move one photo....).

From the few times I have accesses mobileme (that is when it stayed up that is), I had the same problem (actually it took so long to even òpen idisk I think I gave up).

So in short.... I am paying 100 dollars a year for an email service that is unusable and a disk storage facility that is also unusable.

Would I recommend mobileme??? well I will let you make up your own mind. As much as I love(d) Apple, I hate to say this but for the most basic but essential requirment (email), hotmail.com is free, quicker and accessable (never experienced ANY downtime unlike .mac and mibileme)

Thankyou Apple for screwing up the next 6 months travel.
Jonathan

Reaction score
Interesting comments from JonnyBoy. Have to say I am tempted but am waiting to see what happens with MobileMe as I understand the early adopters are feeling a little pain at the moment.

For now I am making do with DropBox for file and photo sync/storage. To be honest DropBox has amazed me with the slickness of execution and the performance. Very nice solution. If you would like a FREE invite drop over to http://ukmac.net and leave a commetn and I will send you an invite by return.

Cheers

--
Scott
http://ukmac.net

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.