New user Bootcamp problem- Please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hello, this is my first post in these forums and I have a problem that I can not figure out, but need to rather quickly. I attempted to create a dual boot situation with OS X/XP. I created a 32gb partition with no problem. Then I thought I installed XP correctly. When I boot, it goes into OS X. When I open Bootcamp, I can now see a Windows folder with all of the Windows files. There are also boot.ini, bootsect.dos, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, and PAGEFILE.SYS files in Bootcamp, none of which open. So, I can see the Windows folder, that does mean that it was installed, right? How can I access XP? Should it ask me during the boot process which OS I want, or do you switch once you get in OS X? I am very new to this, and macs in general so any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reboot your Mac and hold down the "option" key. You should see two hard drive symbols: Macintosh HD and the Windows HD. Move the arrow to the Windows HD and press enter.

You can also do this: While in OS X, open System Preferences, click on Startup Disk and choose the Windows disk. The system will reboot to Windows XP if you have everything setup correctly.

Regards.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Thanks chscag, it worked. She runs like a champ now!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.