import all gmail folders in apple mail

Reaction score
how do i import all gmail folders in apple mail. currently only the inbox is downloaded. i want the saved chats and other folders to be downloaded as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
The only way I know how to do this is to set up an IMAP account in Mail. Here are the Gmail instructions on how to do this.

NOTE: Before you set it up in Mail, be sure to enable IMAP in your gmail.com settings.

OP
A
Reaction score
well mail asked me for my gmail username and pwd and everything was set up on its own! i think its using pop3 right now. why is imap required?

Reaction score
IMAP is much better because it keeps everything in sync. With a POP connection apple mail will download the emails, but if you move or delete a message, it won't be like that on the gmail account.

So should you lose your mailbox and have to re download everything, you'll get a lot of old messages you thought you had deleted.

With imap, any change you make in the mail program, is reflected on the gmail servers.

It just better :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, +1 for IMAP, it's soooooo much better in every way than POP3.

As a general rule, use IMAP for any e-mail account you possibly can.

Reaction score
i cant remember if you have to enable pop and imap separately but since your a gmail account your settings would be:

incoming
imap.gmail.com

outgoing
smtp.gmail.com

and remember to use SSL on both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
why does everyone use gmail.. is there something i dont know about it? i just have hotmail and yahoo...

Reaction score
why does everyone use gmail.. is there something i dont know about it? i just have hotmail and yahoo...

Hehe, not sure why other people choose to have it but for me, it has an awesome spam filter (i.e. i get no spam whatsoever in my inbox! and about 60 a day in my spam folder), it has plenty of storage and it gives me imap.

Add to that you also get google calendar and its contact manager, and i can sync all three with apple mail / ical / address book, or thunderbird with a few plugins.

But yeah, the killer feature for me is the no spam, especially after the **** i got on hotmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Hehe, not sure why other people choose to have it but for me, it has an awesome spam filter (i.e. i get no spam whatsoever in my inbox! and about 60 a day in my spam folder), it has plenty of storage and it gives me imap.

Add to that you also get google calendar and its contact manager, and i can sync all three with apple mail / ical / address book, or thunderbird with a few plugins.

But yeah, the killer feature for me is the no spam, especially after the **** i got on hotmail.

aww man i just made an account just now and i like it is very user friendly.. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7

What he said, the free space archiving is nice for me, especially if Im not at my own computer or house and want to look something up I know I have archived!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yahoo's not bad, but Hotmail/MSN/Live is garbage. The interface is nasty and it's a spam magnet with horrible spam filtering.

Gmail is the best way to go, second would be Yahoo.

Oh and at least Gmail and Yahoo make sure their interfaces work well with Safari where as Hotmail relegates Safari users to an outdated, ugly interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 150 GB
Not too sure about how well Safari works with Yahoo....

For some reason like 75% of the time when I type in the password it just keeps saying that it's the wrong password... Even though I'm 100% certain its correct... Then I go on to Firefox and type the exact same thing and it is accepted...

Seriously don't know what's going on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not too sure about how well Safari works with Yahoo....

For some reason like 75% of the time when I type in the password it just keeps saying that it's the wrong password... Even though I'm 100% certain its correct... Then I go on to Firefox and type the exact same thing and it is accepted...

Seriously don't know what's going on...

I have no problem with Yahoo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gmail all the way... hey is there a way to import my contacts from hotmail to gmail?...

Reaction score
gmail all the way... hey is there a way to import my contacts from hotmail to gmail?...

Not sure about hotmail, but gmail accepts csv files (import and export). Check your hotmail for any export options.

You could also export from gmail and import into apple address book if you use it. Haven't found a way to keep them in sync yet though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.