Reset to actory setting (wihout CDs)

Reaction score
So I just bought a used MacBoo pro 17" and it's great.
NOW, it still has the previous users EVERYTHING on it and I'd like to delete that stuff. Now I know you can reset to factory setting with the original CDs but he didnt give me those just a laptop and powercord. so what do i need to do exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Either go back to the seller and get the CDs or buy a new copy of OS X.

You can delete the apps, etc., that are on it that you don't want (just drag them to trash, or use the app's uninstaller), but you can't just reset the comp to the original OS without the CDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try creating a new account for yourself and using that.

This isn't the same as a complete reinstall though (ie. revert to factory settings). You'll never be able to do that unless you can get a CD from somewhere.

Does it come with OS 10.4 or 10.5 though? If it's on 10.4, just buy a Leopard DVD and erase and install to the latest OS.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Does it come with OS 10.4 or 10.5 though? If it's on 10.4, just buy a Leopard DVD and erase and install to the latest OS.

uh, wouldn't he still be able to do that if Leopard was already installed? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.