Upgrade Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83GHz; iPhone 3G
I have a macbook that is over a year old.. specs(10.4.11): 1.83ghz, 512mb memory, 30gb of 60gb hdd available. When I run multiple programs (msn, firefox, word/powerpoint) my macbook gets a bit warm and usually makes noises if more than 2-3 programs are running. Is it the memory that I should consider upgrading or is it something else? And how easy is it to upgrade it myself, considering that I've never taken apart a computer/laptop?

Thanks,
Daisy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have a macbook that is over a year old.. specs(10.4.11): 1.83ghz, 512mb memory, 30gb of 60gb hdd available. When I run multiple programs (msn, firefox, word/powerpoint) my macbook gets a bit warm and usually makes noises if more than 2-3 programs are running. Is it the memory that I should consider upgrading or is it something else? And how easy is it to upgrade it myself, considering that I've never taken apart a computer/laptop?

Thanks,
Daisy

It is quite easy to upgrade a Macbook of any vintage (first generation to current) to 2+ gig of RAM, and somewhat cheap. Check newegg.com or crucial.com for RAM upgrades. You basically shut down the machine, remove the battery, four (very small) screws, pop out the old RAM and jam in the new RAM. I say "jam" because the RAM chips require a bit of force to seat them, but it is something that you can definitely do. Then replace those screws. Put the battery back in, boot up Macbook. Enjoy the speed increase.

It will speed up your computer considerably. I went from one gig to two with my second generation Core2Duo Macbook and the speed difference was very noticeable.

Same with the disk space. You can buy a much larger SATA hard drive and replace it in the same way. Does not void your warrantee (if you are concerned with that) and there are many videos out on the 'net which show you how to do it.

Do not buy RAM or HDD upgrades from Apple.

The noises you hear are the fan and swapping because 512MB of RAM is small for Tiger or Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Daisy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry - I just found out newegg does not ship to Canada. I've checked out Crucial but they only have max 1gb for my macbook model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134372, its 24+13 for shipping which is about $40 for 1gb.. does anyone know of a different website where I could get 2gb for under $60?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, you're in Canada... well that makes things a bit more complicated. Well, I don't have any websites handy, but here's the key: You're looking for 2x1gig PC2-5200S RAM modules for Apple (or other notebook computers) from whatever supplier you can get up in the provinces. They're going to be a little bit more pricey than what you can get in the States, but you can definitely get them.

And they are worth it even if it is CA$80. Heck, I'll send you my old 2x512MB (total 1GB) RAM modules if you'll send a bottle of those over-the-counter Triatec-8 (200 caplets) you can get up there from the Shoppers Drug Marts ;)

Even a gig would make your Macbook fly.

OP
Daisy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Triatec-8..? How much will those cost and uh.. is this legal for me to send drugs through the mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh, probably not. You'll find your RAM upgrade somewhere from some supplier up north whether it be 1 or 2 gig. It just might be a little more expensive than what we have in the states. Keep searching, and remember the specs that I stated. Just remember that for your Macbook you can upgrade up to 2 gig via 2x1gig memory modules, it is easy to install, and it will make it much faster.

They're about CA$20 for the 200 tab bottle last I checked. Might be more now, I don't know. ;)

OP
Daisy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.