Cannot connect Airport w/internet ???

Reaction score
Mac just recently installed and Airport Extreme card on my MacPro. My intention is to connect to my cable internet via a linksys router. I am not sure if I just have no idea what I am doing (which is probable the case) or the card is not working. I have tried going through the Airport setup assistant and I have had no luck. :Grimmace:

Can someone give me tips or possible steps to set it up so that it will work on my network ???

Thanks

Reaction score
I guess I would need some more information to correctly guide you through the installation.

1) What model Linksys Router?
2) Does your Airport card show as being installed and active?
3) Do you have a network already that you are adding the router to?

Once these main questions are answered it will better pin-point how to help you.

OP
SpeedJUnkyz
Reaction score
I guess I would need some more information to correctly guide you through the installation.

1) What model Linksys Router?
2) Does your Airport card show as being installed and active?
3) Do you have a network already that you are adding the router to?

Once these main questions are answered it will better pin-point how to help you.

1.) WRT54GS Router
2.) Airport card shows up as being installed and it is active
3.)The network w/router is set up and there are 4 other computers that are connected currently (NOt sure if I answered your question)

I don't want to connect to the other computers just the internet :)

Reaction score
So your current setup is like this if I'm reading this correctly...

Cable ---> WRT54GS Router ------> Computer 1,2,3,4 and now adding Wireless

My guess is that the Router has not been setup for Wireless. Default settings should have been wide open and you would have been able to connect without any problems. With one of your other machines you will need to connect to your routers WebPage. If you have not altered the DHCP IP addressing server then your default will be something like 192.168.1.1 which you would type into a web browser. If will ask for a password. If you have not change this password then most likely it will be one of these...

Login: admin
Password:
or
Password: admin
or
Password: password

Let us know if this helps.

OP
SpeedJUnkyz
Reaction score
So your current setup is like this if I'm reading this correctly...

Cable ---> WRT54GS Router ------> Computer 1,2,3,4 and now adding Wireless

My guess is that the Router has not been setup for Wireless. Default settings should have been wide open and you would have been able to connect without any problems. With one of your other machines you will need to connect to your routers WebPage. If you have not altered the DHCP IP addressing server then your default will be something like 192.168.1.1 which you would type into a web browser. If will ask for a password. If you have not change this password then most likely it will be one of these...

Password:
or
Password: admin
or
Password: password

Let us know if this helps.

All of the computers on the network are wireless, they are all laptops ... except obviously the MacPro

Reaction score
OOOOHHHH... that's different. Well there shouldn't anything special for you to do. Do you see the SSID for your MacPro?

OP
SpeedJUnkyz
Reaction score
Can you explain ???

The aircard on the mac doesn't show that it sees any networks like a laptop does...DOes that make sense ??

Reaction score
Dunno if you have already fixed your issue but this may help.

System Preferences
Check the Network pane to see if 'Airport' shows up when you pull down the "Show" menu. If not, select 'Network Port Configurations' from that menu. If Airport is grayed out, it's not seeing the card. If it's there but not checked, check it.

Airport Menu Extra
Do you have the four bars of the Airport icon in the menu bar near the clock and sound? If not, the above advice might fix it or you could navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ and double-click the file "Airport.menu".

From that menu, if the card is recognized, it should have either the network name in the list, or you can select to join other network. If you do that, try the SSID and the passphrase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.