Considering a desktop Mac

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a refurb MacBook from Apple and I love it.

I have two other PC's in my house as I work from home, one is mine and the other is my son's. One of the things I loved most about my MacBook was the way in which it instantly found my Wi-Fi network and connected within 3 seconds of being out of the box and the fact that I can actually access my external hard drive which is attached to my PC from it. My Sony Vaio laptop was lovely, but had Vista installed whilst the PC's have XP, and this caused so many issues!

I am considering purchasing an iMac to replace my Dell PC. Its 11 months old and powerful with dual hard drives, plenty of RAM etc but its just not a Mac.

My dad has offered me his "G5 running OS X 10.5.2 with a dual 1.8 GHz PowerPc and 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM"

I need something quick and with plenty of room for all my business applications/software etc and of course to store all my files etc. I have moved all my personal files and photos etc onto the external hard drive to free up space on my Dell.

I don't really know much about my dad's G5 except its at least a couple of years old if not more (I don't know much about Apple's release timeline)

I have noticed it is considerably slower than my MacBook, although that may just be his internet connection I guess.

Would I be better off with a new iMac or is the G5 going to be sufficient for my needs? I know it doesn't have built in wireless as my parents use USB dongles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The G5s are fast machines. How is it slower than your MacBook?

Reaction score
What are your needs? Obviously the G5 will be slower than a new iMac, and your Dell (the G5 would have been bought 2003-2005).

OP
F
Reaction score
I pretty much spend all day during office hours on the internet as run 3 online businesses.

I spend a lot of time downloading and resizing and working on product images. I tend to have 10 separate pop3 e-mail accounts in Thunderbird on my desktop and download and reply to hundreds of e-mails a day, many of which are heavy on the MB due to product image attachment etc. I can work on anything up to 60 product images a day.

When I first switch on my desktop in the mornings I like my mail to be downloaded asap as there is always so much of it - have really noticed that my MacBook is quicker than my Dell at this too.

All my new product uploads, plus product stock uploads to Amazon, my websites and eBay are done via the net. So fast loading of pages to enable me to spend several hours a day working on the back end of my websites is essential. I notice that my MacBook loads the same pages much quicker than my Dell, even though my Dell has more RAM etc.

I can be quite a heavy user of of Word, Excel etc.

Internet useage and opening apps on my dad's G5 seems a lot slower than on my MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.