Date keeps resetting...

Reaction score
My date keeps resetting every restart and on PC's that means the CMOS battery has died. I am not familiar with Mac's battery layout, but I know on a PC if your CMOS battery goes bad you can simply replace it (lithium batt.) It is just a watch battery.

I bought my iBook with a bad battery, but is this battery separate from the laptop's battery like on a PC or does Mac have them built-in to the main laptop batt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
It's separate usually. Not sure about iBooks specifically, but you can replace it.

Hang on a sec, I think I can find a nice guide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, hang on, I think it's just the main battery in iBooks.

OP
N
Reaction score
So, they are all one battery in iBooks? Looks like Im on the market for a new batt. Best place to get a new batt?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iBooks do not use a Memory battery. Most Macs do but the iBook used a capacitor that gave it enough juice so the battery could be changed. If it sits with a totally dead batter too long, all settings in Open Firmware will be lost.

With the iBook you really do need to have a working main battery.

I provided a URL once here on the forums. If you search you should be able to find it.

OP
N
Reaction score
iBooks do not use a Memory battery. Most Macs do but the iBook used a capacitor that gave it enough juice so the battery could be changed. If it sits with a totally dead batter too long, all settings in Open Firmware will be lost.

With the iBook you really do need to have a working main battery.

I provided a URL once here on the forums. If you search you should be able to find it.

So, basically if I just buy a new batt then the date resetting problem should be solved?

I would like to look more into replacing the Li-Ion batteries within the main battery of the iBook. Does anyone have any input on that subject?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, new battery should solve the problem.

There was a thread around a while ago about replacing the batteries yourself, I'll see if I can dredge it up.

OP
N
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Always interested intaking things apart and seeing how they work esp. if it's cheaper.

Let me know if you find that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you could always experiment by seeing if the old battery can be reapired and keep it as a spare

BY the way, that method only works with older batteries, not with Intel portables which use polymer batteries

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.