• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Telus and Bell to start charging for INCOMING SMS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I just heard on the news this morning that Canadian CDMA Cell providers Telus and Bell plan to start charging $0.15 per RECEIVED text message in August!

Just when Canadians thought they couldn't get messed over on their Cell plans any more, Telus and Bell come to the rescue and drive the bar even lower to the ground.

If Rogers decides to follow suit, I'll cancel right then and there and go with a pre-paid service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Pretty sure that's how the carriers operate here in the U.S. as well. Also part of the reason I don't use SMS/MMS much as I think it's a gimmicky ripoff that's mostly for the cell companies to make an easy profit from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
That's awful. It's not like you deliberately receive a message, and somebody's already paid to send the thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
that is shocking - I mean you can kind of understand when you get charged to get a text when in another country - after-all the host network is providing a service to you - but in your own country - that is pretty poor!

Hope it doesn't catch on and make it over here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Woah, that sure is bad, and extremely shocking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah that's how it's been over here in the US for quite a while now. Ridiculous isn't it?

Reaction score
What if your on PAYG and you're out of credit and someone sends you a text?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
OMG! I've been charged for both ways with every carrier I've used, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
OMG! I've been charged for both ways with every carrier I've used, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T.

My mum and sister would destroy my wage slip - they both send loads of texts and they are always really long - like 4, 5 or 6 texts long - it would cost me a bleeding fortune!

I really hope this does not reach the uk... :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
That's pretty crappy to be honest.. I pay for unlimited texting, so it doesn't really matter/affect me anyways. But still.. Most carriers in the US have been doing this for ages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
That's pretty crappy to be honest.. I pay for unlimited texting, so it doesn't really matter/affect me anyways. But still.. Most carriers in the US have been doing this for ages.

Yep, same here.

I send/recieve some 2,500 SMS/MMS a month, so $15 is a small price to pay, especially since I text more than I talk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Wow, I still pay $10/unl. texting.. I sent in upwards of 4000 SMS/month, however, I can't send MMS :(

Telus locks that feature off all of their smartphones, which force you to use email, which costs $12/mb for data.. I get unlimited data also, but it's just annoying, because only 3 of my friends have smartphones.

On a side note, i'm thinking about starting a petition to present to Telus for putting out the HTC s720.. It's the worst phone I've ever had. My best friend has it and she's having problems with it. Some random girl I asked today has it too and she's had nothing but problems also.

I want them to give me a free phone of my choice. Who's with me?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
HTC are pretty chincy phones anyway. Do people actually use phones to talk anymore? Maybe people should start doing that again. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Phones are for talking? I put maybe 100 minutes on it a month and that includes the time I use it for work. I would say I use it for a half hour a month for personal stuff. I surf for an hour every day on lunch and down times. I check e-mails every 20 mins at home with it. I no longer have a gf to text so i rarely do that anymore. My iPhone really only gets used for internet, mail, and maps. Oh and music. :)

How many of you would need unlimited texting if you only had to pay for one way? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.