Wireless Security Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I am new to Mac and clueless about wireless security. Here's my set up & questions. New MacBookPro (new from Apple six weeks ago) & Time Capsule at home. I think I have WPA2 security set up properly. I live in a patio home community and when my MacBookPro scans for networks it recognizes two, three, even sometime four - all with passwords - I am assuming these are neighbors wireless networks.

Question 1: With WPA2 set up when I am connected wirelessly via my Time Capsule at home then is everything secure? If I log into my banking on line is it secure?

Question 2: When I am in a wifi spot, say a coffee shop, with free unsecured wireless internet access does the fact that my MacBookPro is set up with the WPA2 security make anything I "send or receive" secure?

Sorry to be so dumb on all of this and thanks for your help!
bill

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Yes, WPA2 is quite secure. As long as this is set up, you shouldn't have any trouble. I would recommend changing the password every now and then, however.

2. No. If you use an unsecured wireless hotspot, you are using no encryption, so it is possible (if unlikely) that your transmissions could be open to interception.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.