Trying Share Files On Vista PC To iMac...Confused....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS 512MB
Just got my sexy new iMac delivered today and am loving it...only thing im having trouble with is creating a network between my Vista based PC and my iMac...the only reason for setting up this network is so i can get music, bookmarks etc onto my iMac easily (or at least i thought it would be easy :p)...ive looked at the help and everything and have found something telling me to enter this when i try to "Connect To Server"

smb://DNSname/sharename
or
smb://IPaddress/sharename

i understand what everything means there but i cant get my PC to co-operate..was wondering whether anyone could tell me a better way to set up a network between the 2 comps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Is the firewall enabled on either vista or your mac? if so, try disabling it and see if it allows the connect. samba networking works quite well on the mac and is native on the vista box, so it's really IMO the easiest way to go.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
forgot to mention, i can create networks on vista and have them show up on my mac, however when i enter the password for it, it either tells me its the wrong password (which its not) or its timed out?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
First of all I should say it is easily a year since I needed to get a Vista machine and a OS X machine sharing files.

I had already posted what I needed to do to allow me to browse a share:

First turn on Samba or Windows sharing on your mac and then on the Vista machine try this:

In regedit:
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
In the right pane, right-click the "LmCompatibilityLevel" key and select "modify"
Change the value from 3 to 1

I now click on Start>Run and type \\NameOfMacBook and press ENTER this allows me to browse my MacBook

Doing this would allow you to send files to your Mac from the Vista machine through Windows Explorer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I personally think it is easier to share the Mac than it is to share Windows.

Another option for you would be to install FTP software on your Vista machine. Go to You Mac and enable Sharing (be sure to select FTP) and then FTP stuff from Vista to your Mac - I recently used this to transfer several GBs of data from a linux box - worked perfectly for me.

Of course the easiest method is to simply place the data on an external drive or DVDs - but networking is more fun.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok this all sounds like a lot of effort where its not needed...anyone know a good program to transfer songs from iphone to mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.