Plz Help, Complete Newbie

O

Online-interfac

Hi,

Currently I'm a high school student, hopefully going on to do philosophy at university next year. (YES I AM FROM AUSTRALIA!!!) Well as I am barely 18 money is not falling out of my pockets as i would like it to, currently me and my dad have some PC's up and running but I would like to setup a little mac studio also.

Here is my intentions - - -

G4... Solely for backing up and ripping my own DVD's as I love movie's, hence why my part-time job is at the local video shop:)

IMAC... Just to save mp3's on and have to use as a main data terminal for...

AN G3 Ibook, im hoping i can link the Imac and Ibook up on an airport as i want to be able to access documents on the Ibook while away from home and at school/uni.

But here lies the dilema...

First off all, is it possible to link those to compuers through an AIRPORT? (Please say yes...)

Secondly am i able to upgrade Ibook's as i would be looking at a G3 with specs similar too... 300MHz, 64Mb, 3.2Gb, 12in screen, CD rom.

Is it possible to upgrade? hope so aye...

I'm totally knowledgeless when it comes to macs, but hey give me sum credit as i am converting kind of/ partially from PC's...

All advice and information would be greatefully appreciated!!!

Thankyou very much in advance...

Dave...

(Twas late, plz excuse gramatical and speeling errors) CHEERS!!!

OP
H

hokiethang

Online-interfac said:
Hi,

Currently I'm a high school student, hopefully going on to do philosophy at university next year. (YES I AM FROM AUSTRALIA!!!) Well as I am barely 18 money is not falling out of my pockets as i would like it to, currently me and my dad have some PC's up and running but I would like to setup a little mac studio also.

Here is my intentions - - -

G4... Solely for backing up and ripping my own DVD's as I love movie's, hence why my part-time job is at the local video shop:)

AN G3 Ibook, im hoping i can link the Imac and Ibook up on an airport as i want to be able to access documents on the Ibook while away from home and at school/uni.

But here lies the dilema...

First off all, is it possible to link those to compuers through an AIRPORT? (Please say yes...)

Secondly am i able to upgrade Ibook's as i would be looking at a G3 with specs similar too... 300MHz, 64Mb, 3.2Gb, 12in screen, CD rom.

I'm totally knowledgeless when it comes to macs, but hey give me sum credit as i am converting kind of/ partially from PC's...

All advice and information would be greatefully appreciated!!!

Thankyou very much in advance...

Dave...

(Twas late, plz excuse gramatical and speeling errors) CHEERS!!!

yes, you can link all of the computers through the Airport cards. Macs can use rendezvous, which basically is an automatic discovery protocol for macs running OS 10.

Im not too clear as to what you want to do with the 3 machines. You can spend a bit more and get one machine (a powerbook) that can do it all. Even an old ibook isnt cheap, and by the time you buy all 3 of those machines, you should have enough for a decent powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Online-interfac said:

welcome aboard mac-forums!

seems like a waste of a machine. ripping DVD's is a 30 min process at most, and i think atfer you use OS X you'll want to do so much more.

again, i think you could save money by getting a really nice iMac or G4 (or even G5) tower. instead of getting 2 machines. i have a large collection of music, back up my DVDs, edit digital video, edit digital soundtracks, use photoshop, design websites, and more all on my iMac 800 mhz, with 512 MB of RAM. and i never have problems with it slowing down.

First off all, is it possible to link those to compuers through an AIRPORT?

all you have to do is turn them on. (that is as long as they both have an airport card in them, and within range of the airport hub)

upgrading upgrading RAM, hard drives and airport cards are simple, but anything else might be complicated. Macs have a high resale value. so selling them on ebay and buying a new machine is the best way to go for upgrading.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.