Need help with my new Mac...

Reaction score
Hello mac users. I'm new to this so please help if you can, all advice is appreciated.

I just a new mac book a few days ago. I have tons (150GB) of music on my WD MYBOOK, all songs are either in itunes or windows media format. How can I transfer all my music without having to erase and reformat my external hard drive? I can open some music and play it just fine but not all of it. I tried downloading windows media player and it doesnt seem to help anything.

Lastly, I have a macbook and a 20" apple display screen, I just bought a keyboard and it doesn't work with it. DO I have to always have my laptop open and type on that? I'm using the mirror image option but I want to be able to to use my 20" display screen and the keyboard like a desktop. Is this not possible? If so please tell me how.

Thanks again everyone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Assuming the music is from a Windows machine, what format is it in? NTFS can not be viewed in OS-X so you would have to go back to the Windows machine and reformat the external drive to FAT32 and then copy the music to it. Then you should be able to import the files within iTunes on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can read off a windows NTFS drive but not write to it without additional software

Do you want to keep all that music on that drive?

Also you will have to convert windows media sound files to something iTunes can handle, like mp3 or aac

Switch http://www.nch.com.au/switch/ combined with Flip4Mac will convert those wma tunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
A USB keyboard should work fine with your mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.