Airport Problems Suddenly...

Reaction score
Here's my situation. We have three computers online. The other day my Airport Extreme started acting up. My windows XP laptop could get on but my Mac could not. Today, nothing could get on. I've reset my Airport back to factory settings according to the instructions on the internet and was able to get wireless back on the pc by reconfiguring the network BUT my mac, which is the one I'm on most of the time will not go back to being wireless. I can get on using the ethernet cable just fine but when I disconnect the cable, it says it can't find the Airport Extreme OR if it does, the connection strength is low and I can't get it to stay connected. During this time, the hardwired computer (also connected to the A.E.) has had no problems getting and staying online. (Unfortunately it's on it's last legs and the kids don't want to play on it.)

What I'm using: Mac 10.4.11
What I've tried: I've deleted all the old network connections from the list of sources to connect to and tried adding in just the one network that I'm able to connect the PC with. I've not gone searching for pref files or cached files as I'm not sure what to delete and what needs to be kept.

OP
M
Reaction score
Correction, now my laptop isn't finding the wireless either. As soon as I disconnected the ethernet cable from my mac, the laptop went offline as well. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Correction, now my laptop isn't finding the wireless either. As soon as I disconnected the ethernet cable from my mac, the laptop went offline as well. :(

Looks like your Airport Extreme might have died or is the process of dying. Is it by chance still under warranty? I believe Apple warrants it for one year.

Just my opinion, but I haven't been impressed with Apple's Airport Extreme or their Airport Express models. I purchased an Express only to take it back for a refund. I'm using an inexpensive DLink DI-624 which easily outperforms the Express I had.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Looks like your Airport Extreme might have died or is the process of dying. Is it by chance still under warranty? I believe Apple warrants it for one year.

Just my opinion, but I haven't been impressed with Apple's Airport Extreme or their Airport Express models. I purchased an Express only to take it back for a refund. I'm using an inexpensive DLink DI-624 which easily outperforms the Express I had.

Regards.
Just my opinion, but I've had nothing but great performance from my Airport Extreme. It completely outperforms the D-link and the Linksys I previously used.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just checked and it was purchased just over a year ago (in April '07) so it's not under warranty anymore.

Are there other wireless routers that connect both macs and pc's? I was under the impression that the A.E. was the only one...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.