Unable to connect to wireless network, for a few minutes

Lc3

Reaction score
Whenever I start my MacBook in Windows XP, it tells me that it can't connect to my wireless network, but if I wait about 2 or 3 minutes then it connects anyway. I'm using WPA-PSK, but I've tried different security settings on the router and even unsecured, but it made no difference. It is a NetGear RangeMax ADSL Wireless Modem Router DG834PN. I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP3 and Boot Camp Update 2.1 for Windows XP, Windows is fully updated.

Note: Opening up the list of wireless connections and manually telling it to connect doesn't seem to work either, it's in the list but it refuses to connect until it feals like it. I just have to wait until it decides to connect, which is annoying. Also, the connection is lost when the system sleeps so I also have to wait 2/3 mins from wake aswell as from startup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like an address issue. Make sure you go over all the wireless connection settings in XP especially how you're obtaining an IP address. Another important setting to check is the DNS address from the XP side. Make sure the primary and if necessary, the secondary DNS addresses match what has been provided by your ISP.

Some ISPs (Verizon for example) do not provide DNS addresses for entry into their modem\router but instead generate them automatically through the system.

If necessary, call your ISP's tech support and verify all the settings.

Regards.

OP
L

Lc3

Reaction score
Sounds like an address issue. Make sure you go over all the wireless connection settings in XP especially how you're obtaining an IP address. Another important setting to check is the DNS address from the XP side. Make sure the primary and if necessary, the secondary DNS addresses match what has been provided by your ISP.

Some ISPs (Verizon for example) do not provide DNS addresses for entry into their modem\router but instead generate them automatically through the system.

If necessary, call your ISP's tech support and verify all the settings.

Regards.

Thanks, I was optaining IP/DNS from DHCP but I've changed it to manaul IP and set the DNS servers as specified on my ISP's website, but unfortunatly it didn't make a difference.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this:

Go back to obtaining the IP address automatically from the system (your ISP) and use OpenDNS as the DNS provider instead of your ISP.

OpenDNS settings: (Plug these into your router via its access menu.)

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Secondary 208.67.220.220

You can also use the same settings in the Windows XP wireless wizard setup or from the connection setup. (I'm using Fusion to run XP so I don't have access to the network setup procedures for wireless.)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.