Adventure with a Flash Drive

Reaction score
How to Use a Flash Drive with an iMac

My flash drive is 2.7500" Long, 0.6875" Wide, 0.5625" Thick. It's a SimpleTech (appropo).

Having obtained a new 20" iMAC to investigate the Apple Phenomenon I decided to move a file from the old Ex Pee machine to the iMAC for drill via Flash Drive, see how it went. I am right handed.

Had my choice of USB ports on the back of the free swinging monitor or in either end of the ultra (s)light keyboard. Well the mouse was plugd into the RH side of the KB so I plugd the FD into the left side with my left hand - not so easy as it was a hard push. Finally got it tho without buckling the KB but the FD was thicker than the KB; made it tilt a bit. Hmm.

Let's try the back of the monitor. Just remove the FD from the KB - no sweat. Oh yeah? grasping the FD in my left hand and the KB in my right and exerting sufficient force to separate em the sudden release caused my right hand with KB attached to swipe across the desk. Thankfully my coffee cup was empty.

On to the monitor. Ports are on the back side. How to approach? My first try was to walk around the desk. Attempting to insert the FD revealed that the monitor had to be held to prevent sliding and pivoting (that used to be cald taking moments about the pivot point). From this angle I was again inserting the FD left handed. Hmm again.

Back to the KB. Switch the mouse to a monitor port, insert the FD into the now available KB right side (good exersize for the pecs), ignore the KB tilt from thicker FD (I was going to prop the KB up at an angle anyway), drag-n-drop the test file, remove the FD from the KB (good exersize for the lats) and OOPS!!!!! Big notice on the screen "You didn't release the FD by clicking Finder > Index > Release (I think) and your files may be ruined forever and a day!!!" Well! May I be dipped.

By contrast with my heavyweight old $300 El Cheapo Readymade XP there is a frontal USB port. For relief I shoved the FD in (one handed) and jerked it out (one handed, no clicking) with no verbal assault from the machine.
=============================================================

Recommendation:

Using a Flash Drive with the Keyboard requires strong Pecs and Lats and it is mandatory that there be no coffee cup on the desk. Try not to buckle the Keyboard.

Using a Flash Drive with the Monitor requires rotating the monitor then grasping the bottom of the monitor in one hand while bracing the elbo against the gut then inserting the Flash drive. Again strong pecs and Lats are advised and a strong back helps.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
My flash drive is 2.7500" Long, 0.6875" Wide, 0.5625" Thick. It's a SimpleTech (appropo).

your flash drive is over half an inch thick and wide? wide i can see, but thick? holy cow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My wife uses various flash drives on her iMac fairly often. Never encountered these issues before. She too is right handed.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oops! Thick is 0.40625" , Wide is 0.78125- Musta been holding the scale left handed :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
man, that still seems large...

is it hitting the case at all, or just the usb connector?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Which brings me to my next point. Don't drink and iMac.;) Oh yeah, and buy a flash drive made sometime in the past 5 years.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ha! maybe that's it ;)

is it like a 32Mb stick? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.