help! used to burn discs now it don't

B

badwims67

I just installed the latest version of OSX 10.3.6 -or whatever- a few weeks ago. i used to be able to burn discs from iTunes - again the latest version. But now when i try to burn CDs, it stops on the first song. After 5 minutes the tray opens and I get the message "the device drained its buffer w/o its burn underrun protection."

Details: I'm using an iMac 750 PowerPC G3 (400 MHz) with 192 mgs RAM. External burner iomega ZipCD 650 (USB)

I've tried rebooting, checking to make sure cables firmly in place. I've tried logging in as a different user; deleting a few preferences. :mad:

Do i need more memory? Do i need a new burner? Software update? Divine intervention?

THANKS for your suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that usually happens if you have lots running in the background while burning and not enough RAm, or you havent given itunes a large enough buffer. in prefs, give it a large buffer. see screenshot.

Picture 3.jpg

OP
B

badwims67

must be the RAM

Macman said:
that usually happens if you have lots running in the background while burning and not enough RAm, or you havent given itunes a large enough buffer. in prefs, give it a large buffer. see screenshot.

Thanks Vincent -

unfortunately i'm still having the same problem even after expanding the buffer from medium to large. I've always kept other programs and windows closed during burns. I'm thinking it must be a memory problem.
Any tips for where I can find a good price on a 512mb chip?

thanks

Brandt

OP
B

badwims67

OP
S

secretwings

NO - I think this is a software problem, not just RAM. I have 512MB RAM and it used to work fine until recently. From what I can see on message boards, apparently apple hasn't enabled buffer underrun protection within iTunes, even though it is available within the operating system.

OP
B

badwims67

secretwings said:
NO - I think this is a software problem, not just RAM. I have 512MB RAM and it used to work fine until recently. From what I can see on message boards, apparently apple hasn't enabled buffer underrun protection within iTunes, even though it is available within the operating system.

Thanks!

You know, I still don't know what the heck 'buffer underrun protection' is. I'm wondering why iTunes used to work for burning, but now it doesn't. I've also tried burning in Toast 6 and it also won't burn a disc. I'm still looking for inexpensive solutions (although i just dropped 100 bones on more memory). I guess my next move is to try a different brand of disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
buffer underrun error happens when you have lots of apps or a few processor intensive apps or functions running in the background, it slows the macs speed of sending info to toast, so toast is trying to burn faster than the mac is sending it the info, and there you have it, buffer underrun error.

OP
B

badwims67

Macman said:
buffer underrun error happens when you have lost of apps or a few processor intensive apps or functions running in the background, it slows the macs speed of sending info to toast, so toast is trying to burn faster than the mac is sending it the info, and there you have it, buffer underrun error.

But what if you don't have any apps or any functions running in the background?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats usually not enough ram or youre burning too fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
perhaps your drive just isnt supported in the newly updated os, have you tried patchburn?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.