• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For all you Verizon Wireless users out there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I just bought the LG Dare today and its great. I'll concede its no iPhone but if your stuck on verizon (i'm stuck on my parents bill since im not going to pay for my own) then the Dare is a pretty sweet phone.

Just though I'd toss my two cents out there.

Reaction score
That does look nice. What about features? Does it sync well with Mac? Third party apps available?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If only the iphone was on verizons network.Verizon has by far been the best carrier I have ever used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I love verizon's service. If only they didn't force you to use their cheesy operating system...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ironic, this topic. I'm so on the fence about sticking with ATT. My service kind of stinks, but I'm never sure if it's the network, or if it's the strength of the phones antenna ? I have a Sony Erricson W810i and the phone its self has been ok, but the reception I get is super spotty, and I get dropped calls far too often. My wife used to be with Sprint, and says she had the best service with them, even getting calls on New York City trains.. which is rare. Her phone was a clam shell Sanyo, and says she thought it sounded fantastic. She still has it somewhere.

I like the iPhone, and wouldn't mind getting the 3g, but not at the price of another 2 year contract with a company who's service seems to be sub par. I should place service as a priority over looks and even the type of functionality which the iPhone offers, but it's hard to. If Verizon has a phone with similar type features, I'd probably bite and go over to that side of the fence, but I know that Verizon is infamous for crippling their hardware and making a mockery of the phones they sell.

Hard choice...

Reaction score
Ironic, this topic. I'm so on the fence about sticking with ATT. My service kind of stinks, but I'm never sure if it's the network, or if it's the strength of the phones antenna ? I have a Sony Erricson W810i and the phone its self has been ok, but the reception I get is super spotty, and I get dropped calls far too often. My wife used to be with Sprint, and says she had the best service with them, even getting calls on New York City trains.. which is rare. Her phone was a clam shell Sanyo, and says she thought it sounded fantastic. She still has it somewhere.

I like the iPhone, and wouldn't mind getting the 3g, but not at the price of another 2 year contract with a company who's service seems to be sub par. I should place service as a priority over looks and even the type of functionality which the iPhone offers, but it's hard to. If Verizon has a phone with similar type features, I'd probably bite and go over to that side of the fence, but I know that Verizon is infamous for crippling their hardware and making a mockery of the phones they sell.

Hard choice...

That really is a hard choice........but.........what is the purpose of a cell phone in the first place? To receive and transmit phone calls. I am in a similar situation: I really, really want an iPhone but they don't have the third party apps I want and the possible compromise (the Instinct) has the same drawbacks that iPhone has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Which 3rd party apps do you think you won't see ? And which (lack of) features do they both share ?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
That really is a hard choice........but.........what is the purpose of a cell phone in the first place? To receive and transmit phone calls. I am in a similar situation: I really, really want an iPhone but they don't have the third party apps I want and the possible compromise (the Instinct) has the same drawbacks that iPhone has.

I agree which third party apps do you think are missing? Have ever used a jailbroken or unlocked iphone? the apps are limitless.
As bad At&t service is in my area I'm going to give them a try.I'm currently on Tmobile with an iphone service is great.But I want to try the 3G for a month and see if I like.

Reaction score
Documents to Go (especially the spreadsheets); iSilo (has a lot of our Church's publications,conferences, etc; and eReader. Right now my total bill (with taxes, etc runs around $54.00 per month with Sprint). iPhone will (if I am correct) will run me at least $69.00 per month - before taxes. Instinct will be the same or higher and it will not sync with my Mac (Missing Sync) and will does not have any of the same third party apps. I assume, in time, both will have these.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
My AT&T service has been about the same as my T-Mobile, which was decent. However, both Sprint and Verizon seemed better when I had them. Unfortunately, both had dead spots where I lived while AT&T & T-Mobile didn't. That's really a deal breaker if I can't use the phone in my own house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I love verizon's service. If only they didn't force you to use their cheesy operating system...

Thats why I only bought phones from them that didnt' have it on there, the treo, blackberry, etc. Right now I am using a blackberry and dont think i'll ever get another phone that isn't made by RIM, I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
I don't have a cell-phone service now, but I have a ton of cell phones. I used to have T-Mobile , but I never decided to renew my contract. Now I have a bunch of cellphones especially the Palm Treo models (I currently have 6 of them most on different networks). I 'm not a big fan of RIM after getting a 8700c which I keep in a box in my basement. I get good coverage of Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile in my house though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.