Partitions

Reaction score
hey,

I used to partition my windows machines into C and D drives. Is it necessary to have "macintosh HD" and another partition for macs? Are there any benefits to doing multiple partitions (im going to be time machining them all)? Are there any speed hits?

thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
and if I wanted to do a partition, how would I do it (is there some way to do it via the install disk)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1.25 ghz 1g Ram 120g HD 21"Apple Studio Display
I believe to get the benefits of time machine as a backup restore drive its best to use an external. The whole purpose of it is to have a drive not attached in case your main drive does crash. As far as partitions I on the same boat as you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Im going to be using an external for Time Machine- so does anyone have partitions on their internal?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Im going to be using an external for Time Machine- so does anyone have partitions on their internal?

thanks

I have one of my internal partitioned but it is more for organization than anything else.

Reaction score
I have 3 external drives - all partioned with various OSs (Tiger and Leopard) and my copies of my VM images for Parallels.

I use SuperDuper for backup/clone purposes.

OP
J
Reaction score
so per se I have a partitioned internal- does time machine get everything (provided the fact that I configure it to omit nothing?)

thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Partitioning a hard drive is quite easy with Disk Utility. Highlight the hard drive in question, click on the "Partition" tab, and the rest should be straightforward. As for Time Machine, think it only backs up what's on your "Macintosh HD" equivalent, though I'm not certain on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G
i just purchased a brand new 500gb Maxtor external and first cleaned it off, then backed-up all my HD1 onto it, but didn't realize I needed to partition it first. SO, can i go ahead and partition now? or do i need to remove everything and start over from scratch building the partition first???

thanks!

Reaction score
Partitions & Installing Programs on That Partition

Hello everyone, cool forum here. I just bought my first Mac yesterday in the form of the iMac. One question I had also relates to partitioning drives. In Windows I did it for organization sake. I created one for programs, games, etc. Yesterday when installing a program to the partition I created for my programs, it had a red exclamation point on all the drives besides the main Macintosh HD. It said I had to install it on the partition with the OS.

So I am wondering and hopefully this isn't a stupid question. Do all programs have to be installed on the partition with the OS or can you change that as a setting option? Is it proper to use the same line of thinking in partitioning that I did with Windows OS? Is there a way to save things to different areas by default?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. New at this and could use some good advice. As an IT person who has always used Windows, I got used to a different way pretty quickly although I know I have a long way to go. :)

Thank you!

cubby03

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.