Things I like about OS X

Reaction score
Well to be fair I started another thread called "Things I dislike about OS X" but in reality there are things I really like about it as well. So i figured I would point those out.

1. I really like Expose. I don't know how you mac users got along before without it. It would be like XP missing the taskbar and having to use ALT+TAB for everything. My only complaint would be that you can't drag files from one finder window to another using expose. Like grabbing a file from one finder window, dragging it to the corder of your screen to launch expose and then letting the file go on the window you want to drop it into. That would be really nice. But it's ok.

2. I wasn't really sure about the dock before but I'm really liking it. I enjoy how it serves multiple purposes, you can launch apps with it, you can pull apps to the front with it, you can minimize apps to it, you can drag files and folder to it and you can monitor the status of things for certain apps with it.
The only think you can't seem to do is drag a file to it and have it spring open the app/folder/finder to them drop the file into. But I've already covered this a thousand times.

3. I like how easy it is to burn DVD's. I always had a pain trying to burn disks with windows and always relied on Nero or iTunes for that. Now I can burn data files in the OS with no problems.

4. I love the webcam integration. On XP (or Vista) webcams aren't really used very much. Certain apps will take advantage of them but for the most part it's assumed they don't exist. There are several apps I've run into already that support the isight cam making it snap (no pun intended) to quickl take a picture or video for whatever use.

5. I like how applications don't close when you X out their window. I admit that at first this annoyed me and sometimes I still find myself thinking I closed an app when I didn't. But now I really like that aspect. Especially if I were to accidentally X out a window when I didn't mean to. it's rare but it happens. I can only imagine the pain and suffering mac users must go through when switching to XP/Vista based on habit of X-ing windows and finding they just closed the app completely.

What else would you like to add?

Reaction score
The only think you can't seem to do is drag a file to it and have it spring open the app/folder/finder to them drop the file into. But I've already covered this a thousand times.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I don't seem to have any issue doing this. For example, I can drag a file to the Downloads folder on the dock and it will move it there. I can drag and drop a .doc file to my Word icon on the dock and Word opens with the file I dropped there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'll add the entire look of the OS. It's simple, but attractive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
I'm a recent switcher and I'd add Spaces as 1 of the best features of Mac OS in combination with Exposé :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
The whole OS just puts Windows to shame.

Expose
Dock (Spring loaded to add)
Finder
Spotlight
Disk Utility
Automatic Unzipping of Files
Spaces
The whole iLife suite

Its just amazing, Windows has nothing like this, and its been 10 months since XP was my main OS, I've had this awesome iMac for 6!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Agreed.

It does everything I need it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1.25 ghz 1g Ram 120g HD 21"Apple Studio Display
#1 Reason, its not a Microsoft product!

Reaction score
It's been almost one year since I switched. I use MBP at home & XP at work. I just don't find there's much difference. They both do pretty much the same thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to both OS's.

I've never understood why Mac users have to continually reaffirm their fondness for Macs, while Windows users just go about their work. It seems like an insecurity complex.

Swedevb

Reaction score
1. I really like Expose. I don't know how you mac users got along before without it. It would be like XP missing the taskbar and having to use ALT+TAB for everything. My only complaint would be that you can't drag files from one finder window to another using expose. Like grabbing a file from one finder window, dragging it to the corder of your screen to launch expose and then letting the file go on the window you want to drop it into. That would be really nice. But it's ok.
you can do that... keep your mouse hovered over the window you want to drop the file into, and that window will come into focus. Then you can let go of the file and drop it into that window. It takes you out of expose, but it's pretty close to what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've never understood why Mac users have to continually reaffirm their fondness for Macs, while Windows users just go about their work. It seems like an insecurity complex.

For the same reason that any group celebrates their fondness of their object or thing of choice. Not everyone sees a computer as simply a tool, just as many don't just see a car as just simply transportation. Some people enjoy things more than others. You don't have to understand it, but if you plan on spending time here, you might as well get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I would've loved spaces but after having 2 monitors, I don't even use it. I don't see the big deal for closing the window rather than quitting the app. I love expose, Quicksilver (that will beat almost anyway of starting an app no matter what OS) and I also like the mail program.

For the same reason that any group celebrates their fondness of their object or thing of choice. Not everyone sees a computer as simply a tool, just as many don't just see a car as just simply transportation. Some people enjoy things more than others. You don't have to understand it, but if you plan on spending time here, you might as well get used to it.

Yes. I love the work these people put in theirs: http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1.25 ghz 1g Ram 120g HD 21"Apple Studio Display

Swedevb

Well you can't really say ALL windows users just go about their day not knocking down apple products. Its just brand loyalty and its found in just about any major product out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch 3.06 ghz
I really love the widgets! Vista's sidebar gadgets suck, I turned them off immediately, but Apple's widgets are wonderful.

I've only had my iMac for a few days so I'm still finding my way around. I have to say that by day 3, I feel pretty darn comfortable, I expected the learning curve to be much worse.

Reaction score

I enjoy this forum for it is often educational, but unfortunately just as often the threads start off well but evolve into either I love my Mac or why everyone should hate Windows.

This thread is a perfect example. The originator made some great points that were informative and illustrative, but sure enough later comments were:
"The whole OS just puts Windows to shame."
"#1 Reason, its not a Microsoft product!"
They add nothing other than to highlight insecurities, in my opinion.
Swedevb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel (Aluminium) iMac - 2.0 Ghz
i love stacks.. its so simple yet so effective, user friendly and looks good too... just like everything else on a mac really...

i think one of the reasons why mac users like to talk about why mac is better than Windows/pc is because there's still a bit of feeling that its such a different alternative to a PC, which totally dominates the world of computing, and cause so many repetitive annoyances.. like baggss said its a bit like owning a really nice car, spending a bit more money and driving something completely different to the norm, and being proud of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
People pay a lot of money on Apple products when they live somewhere like here, where everything needs to be 'imported'. In my case, that was another reason to see my MB as a little bit more than a Windows machine. I've never ever in my life been so careful with anything like I am with my computer.

But back on topic, Spaces is just incredible.

Reaction score
I have posted enough things I don't like about OS X my .02 about what I really like- I use all three OS at home and work and all three have nice attributes.
OS X just needs a couple of tweaks to make it truly the ultimate. Not a fan boy of any of them- they are all great- I think some of my gripes about OS X can be fixed by utilities that I am not aware of since I'm a noob.

1> Boots and shuts down WAAAYYY quicker than Windows- XP in particular runs VERY fast when it is a new machine but then like plaque in the arteries over time XP machines just get a little slower and slower especially in loading and shutting down

2> LOVE coloring folder and file names in FINDER- so easy and simple and so effective.

3> SOUNDS STRANGE but Office 2008 is much more intuitive than Office 2007! I don't want to get into it here but lets just say the Office 2007 toolbars are the most dysfunctional thing in the history of software where the MS Mac team nailed it perfectly with Office 2008. Great job.

4> Burning a disc is easier straight form the OS

5> As a switcher I no longer feel left out of some great Windows Apps that were not available for Macs. Like Evernote which is a mainstay app for me now available for Mac

6> Apples RDP works great- I remote into my Windows desktop at work

7> USB stick drives show up on the desktop as an icon without having to drill into it. I exchange files a lot this way and this is very convenient.

8> Getting used to the top menu being at the top and not being on the highlighted window- I dont know if that is better- I think that I like the Windows way better. But at least I have gotten used to it and it isn't a big deal anymore. But that does mean the mouse moves a lot more (on a 24" monitor) than it needs to. But it is no longer a detriment to the OS. And yes since the application stays open many of them do act faster since they don't have to reopen as in the windows world.

9> Much better hardware compatibility than Apples of the past. I am using a very cool Sony keyboard works without a hitch even though it is not advertised for and has no drivers for OS X. More Video card choices so that if I want to upgrade the video card in the future to the latest and greatest gaming card from Nvidia chances are very good OS X drivers will be available- this couldn't have been said in the past.

10> MAYBE THE BIGGEST THING - I TRULY have ONE computer with boot camp (Vista) RDP (XP at Work) and OS X running native that can handle ANY APP AT ANY TIME FOR ANYTHING! It is worth the extra money that I paid for the Mac pro I am using right now to know that I simply have a machine that will last for MANY MANY years and be able to handle anything you can throw at it. Only Apple offers this.

But.. PS Still wish I could right click on a file in Finder and have an 'Email" option a glaring oversight in the "Best OS in the world"

And while I am on it- with the Mac Pro I don't see a hard drive in use light which to me is just like a diagnostic tool. If there is a problem ( I know macs have no hardware problems - that was a joke) But when they do it is good to see if the hard drive is spinning constantly or not. is there a utility that shows a dot or something on the screen that simply shows when the hard drive is being accessed? Would be really great to see that on my desktop- maybe some of you smart guys need to write a util that does that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
But.. PS Still wish I could right click on a file in Finder and have an 'Email" option a glaring oversight in the "Best OS in the world"

Ok, here is your solution:

Download Finderpop (free) and install.

Once you have that done, open Automator, select "Custom", click on Mail then select the "New Mail Message" script listed, drag it to the right hand pane. In the right hand pane identify the default account. Then go FILE > SAVE AS > APPLICATION and save it to your desktop. Then Open the Finderpop Prefs Pane and then the Finderpop items folder and move the App you just created in there. You can change the icon as desired (I used the Mail App icon). You can rename the script as you desire. You can now close Automator and the Prefs Pane.

Now when you right click the ability to send a new mail with an attachment will be there.

I am by no means a script wizard but this is basic Apple scripting, even I was able to figure it out.

I have attached mine.

View attachment Send Mail.zip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.