switching from PC

M

mlazuka

Hello everybody, Now that my PC is four years old Im thinking about replacing it. Im getting tired of all the problems that come with owning PC's and Im looking for something more stable and simple to use. I am now considering buying a Mac. I have done as much research as I could about making the switch to Mac, reading about lots of positives with few disadvantages. My only concern is how much different will owning the Mac be for everday computer and internet use, downloading, email, things like that. What will I be giving up by switching to Mac? Im concerned since most computers are PC's that my options will be fewer and Ill be left out on many things such as software options. Will I be able to transfer programs like quicken from my PC to Mac? I just basically want to know what the transition to Mac will be like and what Ill be giving up if I decide to make the switch. If this topic has been covered extensively like I suspect it has (I just havent found it yet) could someone please show me wehere I can find this information? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

OP
D

Desolate One

As far as your day to day that you mentiond, nothing will be different. Granted the apps will be (ie: Mail instead of Outlook, Safari instead of IE,...), but the job gets done. So you wont be giving anything up there. As far as software, I wouldn't worry too much about for there is plenty.

By the way, welcome aboard!

OP
M

mlazuka

Thanks desolate, another one of my concerns is how seamlessly macs communicate with PC's. Will it be a problem using things like instant messenger with others who are on PC's? Thanks again

OP
D

Desolate One

No problems at all. I use iChat, which comes w/ Mac OS, for AIM and I'm able to chat w/ all my buddies. As far as the computers communicating to one another, the Mac was the easiest computer to add to my network and they share files seamlessly.

OP
M

mlazuka

thanks again, what about peripherals like printers, zip drives and such? do I have to buy these from Mac?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The one thing that I noticed, when I switched, was that some websites would not function properly no matter what browser I had. But ususally Safari can handle some websites that my favorite browser cannot handle. This problem usually happens around embedded video players in webpages.

OP
S

sivp

i would say about 95% printers now (usb) would work with mac as long as they support the correct drivers for it.. Also many external devices dont work well with mac like HD digital drive for example.. But the ones that do work work GREAT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
mlazuka said:
thanks again, what about peripherals like printers, zip drives and such? do I have to buy these from Mac?
No, most devices today are plug 'n play for both operating systems...

Just be advised though: If you have an older printer that doesn't have a USB connector, bear in mind that mac's no longer have a LPT1 port...(old connection).

Things like zip drives, cameras, external harddrives etc all work seamlessly though...

I was in the same situation as you were and my advise is to just take the plunge.
As desolateone said, the apps ARE different, but in my opinion they're also better.

Everything is more intuitive and working with your computer is generally more enjoyable (at least for me). I haven't had any software or hardware issues (i.e. not being able to find a mac equivalent for PC software) and most things are actually easier to get done.

For example: (not sure if this is 100% accurate, but is my basic experience)

To install a USB printer under windows, plug it in and windows will pop up an installation window, automatically finds the correct drivers, installs them, and you're ready to print a document.

To install a USB printer under OSX, plug it in. And you're ready to print a document.

OP
M

mlazuka

thanks for the help everybody. Did anybody find that they had to give anything up with the Mac? Have you found anything that you liked more about your PC's? I still am a little concerned about software. Also, will my broadband connection run at the same speed as it does with my PC? Thanks again

OP
D

danger_boy_13

I still use my PC for gaming and some 3D development on 3ds max, but I have a PowerBook, so its not plausible to do 3D stuff on my Mac. I have found that there are a lot more free apps for Mac to do things that my PC did, so the software issue is actually cheaper when it comes to Mac.

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

Nothing at all mlazuka :)
I switched from PC to Mac over a year ago, and no setbacks at all :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
There is one progam, I have that I wish was on my mac. It's called AI Roboform. It helps me login to websites fast. Safari and Firefox are a bit picky with some websites, when I want them to remember particular usernames and passwords.

Reaction score
mlazuka said:
What will I be giving up by switching to Mac? Im concerned since most computers are PC's that my options will be fewer and Ill be left out on many things such as software options. Will I be able to transfer programs like quicken from my PC to Mac? I just basically want to know what the transition to Mac will be like and what Ill be giving up if I decide to make the switch. Thanks!

I think I can answer that for you. Actually i think your options will increase going with the Mac and OSX. There are thousands of Open Source programs out there for the Mac. Being basicly a unix machine it opens quite a few doors not available on the PC. Not to mention the tons of shareware out there for the Mac, and much of it is actually better than commerical and far cheaper priced. Most decent and well used software will have a Mac version.

What will you be giving up switching to the Mac?... simple, buggy software, a buggy OS, and hundreds of so called "Upgrades" which are mostly bug fixes that Mickey Soft wants to charge $100.00 and up for. Not to mention thousands of virus/trojan\worms and hackers intent on blasting all the holes they find in Mickey Soft, and they are many.

Having already been a user of FireFox and Thunderbird and Open Office, it felt like old home week when I switched over to Mac a couple of weeks ago, but Safari and Mail are both fine programs too it you choose to use them.

One problem you may find is in printers... If you have an old printer the Mac may not have the driver for it. If it is a parallel port plug in and your Mac, like the G5 doesn't have parallel port, that can be solved with a usb conversion plug in. If your printer is a usb printer, it will probably plug right in and work.

So, should you make the switch.... I would if I were you... as a matter of fact, I did....

OP
M

mlazuka

Thanks for all the help everybody. I visited the apple store today and played around with the computers, mostly the powerbook. with the exception of faint memories of using a mac nearly twenty years ago this was my first time using one. The first thing that struck me was how sharp everything was, much easier to look at than the PC Im using right now, another thing was how fast I picked up on everything, it was almost like thought was put into the layout of all the different programs, buttons were where I would expect them to be, I actually felt near the end (I was there for nearly two hours) like I knew the Mac better than I knew my own PC. After awhile I was getting some funny looks from the employees and eventually one came up and we talked awhile. I explained my concerns about switching and he was very helpful and he seemed to know what he was talking about. I left the store with a really good feeling about apple, BUT on my way home I became apprehensive again, wondering about the consequences if I decide to switch. So thats where I stand right now, I really feel like I want to do it, I guess Im just a little scared. Thanks again for all the help.

OP
D

Desolate One

I know the apprehension you are feeling. Buy a desktop. I bought a notebook (iBook) to switch, a very down (I was down and out at the time) thus impulsive moment, but now I'm wishing I had an iMac or Power Mac. Well when you get your Power book get it over with and pick up the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. This way you can use it as a desktop replacement!

Yes, now I'm thinking of spending more money so I can get a sweet iMac G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I made my switch last Christmas and cannot be happier! My Mac has far better than lived up to my hopes! :alien:

OP
D

danger_boy_13

I bought a PowerBook and it has basically replaced my desktop PC except for a few graphic-intensive things (becasue I just got the 256 RAM in my PB until I can afford more in Feb/Mar) like games and some development. Usually I hook my PC monitor up to my PB when I am at home to get more screen space. I am very happy, and I have no reservations saying I am sure you will be, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.