• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD movie does not fill screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
I have a 20" widescreen iMac G4. Usually, when I play a DVD, it goes into full screen, but since the viewing area is wider than the computer screen, there is black space at the top and bottom, just like if I were watching it on a TV. But right now, the movie I'm watching doesn't do that. It just sits in the middle of the screen with black space at the top and bottom, and the sides. Why doesn't it fill the screen? Is there something I can do to fix this, or does the DVD have limited resolution that makes it incapable of filling the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
check the ratio on the dvd box to see what it says...some dvd's are set to a ratio different than 16:9 or 3:4

OP
The Trooper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but that still doesn't really explain why there'd be black space at the top and bottom and the sides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If the DVD is set to a ratio other than the standard widescreen or standard 4:3 ratio then it could be that the ratio the disc has sets it that way. Why a company would do that is beyond me but there are some DVD's that don't use standard screen ratios which would could give you the bars on all 4 sides

OP
The Trooper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sux....any idea how to fix it?

S

sivp

All computer dvd drives have progressive scan (part of the software) so it will read if it's a wide screen or 4:3, try simply double clicking on the actual viewer, or as said before, check your setup option and preferences very carfully.

Edit: Unless the video is a different region code, which may affect something or simply the movie was recorded that way..

Also you may need a codec as a last resort to fix this problem. Most probably an mpeg2 codec.

B

brutusmc

I've had the same problem with a 23 inch cinema display. I think it tends to happen on DVDs from Universal Studios movies if I remember correctly, so I assumed it had something to do with how they were encoding their DVDs. Playing it on a 17 inch doesn't give the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.