Gaming on the Mac with Windows

Reaction score
So what I am wondering is, if I get a MacBook pro and use BootCamp for XP, would I be able to game as well as just any laptop that would be built for a Windows OS?

I am wondering if performance loss is evident when gaming on a MBP with BootCamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Possibly not quite as good, since the video card options may not be optimized with directx, but I think you would probably be in pretty good shape.

A MacBook Pro comes with either a 256 or 512 GeForce that should run many games adequately. You can also run any Mac native games too.

OP
N
Reaction score
So you are insisting that maybe buying a separate gaming Laptop/platform other than a Mac (even with bootcamp) is recommended for optimal performance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
It can be done, but I think if you really want to game, Windows would be your option there. There are numerous amounts of hardware readily available for a PC, and it can be easily upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
If you use Bootcamp to run XP out of emulation, you'll be extremely well set with the GeForce 8 Series video in the MBP, it uses the same exact GPU core as do the Windows laptop systems, it's still DirectX 9/10 compliant (if ya ever wanted to game under Vista YUCK) but under XP either the 256 or 512Mb options will work fine.

Reaction score
I game fairly heavily on my MBP.

Some of the games I have tested with no problems:

Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
Company of Heroes
Empire At War
Command And Conquer 3

I am boot camping volume license 32 bit XP to game in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I also run games fairly often on bootcamp...

I have no problems except for how hot the computer gets...

You should not plan to play games while the computer is on your lap.. ;)

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Turn your fans up when you play!

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html

Although, that's only for OS X

I wonder if there are any fan control apps out for XP that work on the mbp
smcFanControl allows you to set a fan speed in OS X that will also be present in windows.

Usually, before I switch over to XP to play a game, I max out my fans on OS X, then switch over to windows...

However, my computer still gets very hot even with the fans maxed out...

Reaction score
smcFanControl allows you to set a fan speed in OS X that will also be present in windows.

Usually, before I switch over to XP to play a game, I max out my fans on OS X, then switch over to windows...

However, my computer still gets very hot even with the fans maxed out...

Hmmmmm

Put a fan behind it?

hah

I had a fan blowing on me last night and noticed my MBP temps dropped considerably.

You could also get a laptop cooling pad and use that when you game.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
I wouldn't use a laptop at all for real gaming
A desktop will be much cheaper and better for gaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I wouldn't use a laptop at all for real gaming
A desktop will be much cheaper and better for gaming

MBP with the 512mb video card is about as good as it gets IMO. unless you have an SLI or Crossfire setup you might as well use the laptop you've got.
~~and here's what i would like to know:
which is better for gaming. Bootcamp for VMware Fusion??? i have some PC games that i would like to play every once in a while. i have a copy of XP and would like to be able to play
Call of Duty 4
Command and Conquer 3
FEAR
Battle for Middle Earth 2 (not sure why these aren't out for Mac yet)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.