Bioshock problems.

Reaction score
Greetings.

Firstly I am using an Intel older Pro Mac with 2x 2GHz Intel Core duo Xeon's, an Nvidia 8800 GT video card with 512 megs, 2GB of ram and Bootcamp 2.1 running Windows XP SP2. All my drivers are up to date including DirectX 9. I'm using my Mac's onboard sound card.

I recently purchased Bioshock and was shocked (and annoyed) when it didn't work. I brought a copy from the shops, so this is not the Steam version (although I do have Steam installed because of The Orange Box set). The game installed fine, authenticated fine and updated fine... but when I try to run it I either get the "Bioshock.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." error or nothing happens after the Bioshock logo. I've not seen any part of this game yet...

Some people have told me that Bioshock wasn't designed to run on a Mac and so I should expect problems. However, on Youtube there are video's of people running the game on lesser specced Mac's than my own!

I've also tried a few things such as altering the audio drivers from FMOD in the default.ini file and disabling visual theme's... but no luck, the same error occurs .

Will this game run on a Mac with Windows installed? Has anyone got it to work on their Mac? Is it Windows XP that is the problem? I don't mind splashing out on the cash to upgrade to vista if that will allow me to play this game!

It doesn't make sense to me. My system is powerful enough to play the game and other games work fine like Half Life 2: Orange Box (which also wasn't designed for Mac's), Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun, Quake 2, The original Half Life and Unreal Tournament. Windows works fine so why doesn't this game? Please please help me out...

Please help :(.

OP
D
Reaction score
How well does Vista 64 run?

Has anyone got Bioshock working on Windows XP SP2?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.