Download software for new peripheral?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Canon digital camera. Obviously, it comes with a software bundle that it recommends be downloaded to ensure full compatibility between the computer and camera. The instructions seemed to stress the PC aspect of it more than the Mac. Do you guys typically download the software on your Macs, or do you simply plug the camera in and go to work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'm one to go and download the latest drivers/utilities for any hardware in and attached to either my Macs or my PCs, it helps a lot especially on the PC side where latest chipset and graphics drivers can yield better performance. However, newer versions of say digital camera software and drivers can indeed fix issues with the previous release (IE. Bug Fixes).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Most cameras work just fine out of the box. The extra software is usually just for editing and such, If you have iPhoto or another graphics editing app, you should be just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.