Help me Please

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I wanted to really ask your help. I am a photographer and like making iMovie videos.

I need your help in choosing a computer.

Its either the cheapest macbookpro or the black macbook which is the best in its models. Which one should I get? I really want the 2nd model of the mbp but its too expensive for my budget.

Its either the cheapest mbp or the black mb. They have the same features CPU, RAM the hard drive in the mb is even bigger but is the video card better in the mbp?

I currently have the first macbook black which is a 2GHz 1gb ram and video card is only 64mb which is very slow when playing sims..

Help Appreciated

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It depends on what you do with your computer. If games and 3D support are priorities, the MacBook Pro would be the better choice as it has a true discrete video card, whereas the Macbooks use an Intel integrated graphics solution.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with CWA. No matter which Macbook you purchase, you still have that Integrated Intel Graphics chipset which is not the best for games. Some games will play just fine, but others need more Graphical power. The MBP will work much better with demanding games.

OP
jj213
Reaction score
thanks for the replys. I am basically going to use it for editing pictures making iMovies and photography use. Will the mbp be a better buy than the mb?

OP
jj213
Reaction score
as I already have the black macbook. Would it be worth for the extra $500? ANd for the same specs I cant see why I am adding more 500 dollars. The same GHz, RAM except the video card.

OP
jj213
Reaction score
so i guess the GHz does not really matter cause its the same with mb but the video card of the pro is better. Is that why it is 500 bucks more cause of the video card?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i guess the GHz does not really matter cause its the same with mb but the video card of the pro is better. Is that why it is 500 bucks more cause of the video card?

Well, there's a few other things as well:

1. Larger screen (15.4" vs. 13.3")
2. Illuminated keyboard
3. PC Card slot
4. FW800 port
5. Aluminum case (as opposed to plastic - although in some cases, that's not a benefit since it tends to be a better conductor of heat than plastic).
6. Full DVI out instead of the mini DVI (not a biggie if you have an adapter).

Needless to say, if gaming isn't high on your priority list, it probably isn't worth the money. With the $500 you saved, you can probably build a decent PC for gaming if need be.

OP
jj213
Reaction score
Well, there's a few other things as well:

1. Larger screen (15.4" vs. 13.3")
2. Illuminated keyboard
3. PC Card slot
4. FW800 port
5. Aluminum case (as opposed to plastic - although in some cases, that's not a benefit since it tends to be a better conductor of heat than plastic).
6. Full DVI out instead of the mini DVI (not a biggie if you have an adapter).

Needless to say, if gaming isn't high on your priority list, it probably isn't worth the money. With the $500 you saved, you can probably build a decent PC for gaming if need be.

Larger screen would not really matter as I can hook it up to a monitor. I guess im better off getting the mbp. The air could be one but it might be too slow for my needs what do you think?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Larger screen would not really matter as I can hook it up to a monitor. I guess im better off getting the mbp.

As I recall, you asked what made the MacBook Pro so much more expensive than a similarly spec'ed MacBook.

The air could be one but it might be too slow for my needs what do you think?

The Air is really designed for those whose number one priority is travel. In fact, it's referred to as a "companion notebook", assuming that you have a more powerful machine to do your mainstream tasks on. With that said, the Air is pretty limited. Some key points:

1. Close in price to the MacBook Pro, but much less powerful.
2. One of the slowest processors in the Mac lineup, with benchmarks to prove it.
2. Lack of an optical drive as standard ($100 external option)
3. Non-upgradeable hard drive / smallest in the Mac lineup at 80GB
4. Lack of ports (a single USB as a matter of fact, and no firewire).
5. Non-removeable battery
6. Limited graphics power.

It's actually quite a step down from the standard MacBook - but if having the thinnest, lightest notebook money can buy is important, it might be a good choice.

OP
jj213
Reaction score
As I recall, you asked what made the MacBook Pro so much more expensive than a similarly spec'ed MacBook.

Yes the air would be a big step down. So I think I will get the macbook pro the cheapest one. The upgrade options of the mbp and mb are mostly the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.