Still having issues...

Reaction score
I've posted this problem before, but I finally realized the problem, I'm just not sure how to fix it. And if this is the wrong spot to post this I'm sorry, wasn't sure where else to throw it.

Anyway... The problem. After networking my old eMac and my new MacBook Pro together to transfer files, I was repeatedly given the message that I did not have sufficient access privileges to download things, such as program updates, songs from iTunes, everything except the regular system updates on my MacBook. I recently discovered that my computer.local file under my network servers file is read only, which I'm assuming would be the cause to this problem. When I right click and go to Get Info and go under Ownership & Permissions it says Read only and it's greyed out so I can't change it.

How do I make it Read & Write again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could try logging on with "root" access. Normally, this is not recommended for every day computing and should only be used when all else seems not to work. See this Apple KB article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

Once you have logged on as "root", you will automatically have RW permissions for everything. So be careful! :Oops:

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.