• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.avi image capture?

D

Desolate One

Hey guys, another quick one here. Just wondering if I can capture an image of an .avi file playing in VLC. You know, pause at the frame I want then capture the image in .jpg (idealy) format. Is it possible in VLC or would I need to use a different program?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When you have the frame you want paused hold down

Apple + Shift + 4

this will turn your cursor into a crosshair and you can select the video frame by draggin a box around it. When you let go it will take a picture and saveit as a pdf onto your desktop which you can then open up in Preview and Export as a jpg

OP
D

Desolate One

I did indeed try that method, but all I got was the VLC video window with a black screen. Do you think I should try it again w/ some of the surrounding frames? I know there are very few full index frames in such a compressed file. Could I have gotten one of the... B frames? P frames? I think it's one or the other. Heh, been a while since I've taken classes. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I remember posting screenshot shortcuts somewhere, anyway, try having the finder selected when you do it, or, after that screenshot command, hit space to bring up a camera, place it over the window you want, itll turn blue as in expose, and click, if not, the only way may be a full screenshot, then crop the image. why are you using vlc? mplayer is so much better, not that vlcs***s or anything, but mplayer is so superior to vlc.
if nothing else, convert the .avi into a .mov and QT should let you play it and take a screenshot of it.

OP
D

Desolate One

mplayer you say, Hmmmm. I may have to give it a shot. I'll try all these out and see wot happens when I get home.

Thanks again for all the responses! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
ok, use grab copy to clip board and paste it in photoshop.

it wont get a black screen.

OP
D

Desolate One

trpnmonkey41 said:
When you have the frame you want paused hold down

Apple + Shift + 4

this will turn your cursor into a crosshair and you can select the video frame by draggin a box around it. When you let go it will take a picture and saveit as a pdf onto your desktop which you can then open up in Preview and Export as a jpg

Okay, sorry. I tried something else last time. I re-read your response and gave it a go, it worked great!

Thanks again for all your responses! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.