I need a NAS that works with time machine...

Reaction score
Ok new simpler question, now that I've realised the setup I wanted would not be possible (in another thread).

I'm looking for a NAS (network drive) that will work with time machine. thats all.
I guess around 200GB, or what's a decent size to allocate just for time machine?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have 150gb's of space on an external drive attached to an airport extreme that I use for time machine. First backup sucked though ;) (timewise)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok new simpler question, now that I've realised the setup I wanted would not be possible (in another thread).

I'm looking for a NAS (network drive) that will work with time machine. thats all.
I guess around 200GB, or what's a decent size to allocate just for time machine?

thanks

Although I have seen tutorials on how to hack third party NAS devices to work with Time Machine, I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work with my D-Link DNS-323. If you need a reliable NAS that will work without a hitch, your best option is the Time Capsule - at least for now.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have 150gb's of space on an external drive attached to an airport extreme that I use for time machine. First backup sucked though ;) (timewise)

Right, however I do not have an airport extreme.
For a bit more info; I have a linksys router...

Although I have seen tutorials on how to hack third party NAS devices to work with Time Machine, I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work with my D-Link DNS-323. If you need a reliable NAS that will work without a hitch, your best option is the Time Capsule - at least for now.

I see. Is Time Machine even worth it? You see, it looks like i'm going to need to get a seperate NAS anyway for my windows laptop and to store all the music on.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I see. Is Time Machine even worth it? You see, it looks like i'm going to need to get a seperate NAS anyway for my windows laptop and to store all the music on.

Time Machine is great, if you're a relative newb to backup software. It takes most of the thinking out of the process. Personally, I use SuperDuper! and couldn't be happier - and it works great with my NAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Time machine is very slick as far as backup programs go, but it's not really easy to get going on non-apple equipment. I spent some time trying to get it to like a NFS share on a linux box, but that was a pretty frustrating effort. Having our wireless access point die gave me an excuse to make integration a little easier.

I have additional space (it's a 1Tb drive attached actually) that's functioning as a samba share (the airport acts as a file server that way, so does the time capsule). A Time Capsule would be the same, without having to add a touch file (.com.apple.timemachine.supported) to get Time Machine to recognize the volume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.