• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Copying DVD's Tutorial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
For Mac OS X
----------------

Legal Info (in plain english):
--------------------
This tutorial is intended to let you exercise your "fair use" rights under copyright law to either "time-shift" or "space-shift" DVD content which you may have purchased legitimately. An example of time-shifting would be to temporarily store the data from a DVD you rented so as to watch it at a later time after you have returned the disc (and avoided late fees!). An example of space-shifting would be to copy one or more DVD discs to your laptop hard drive so as to watch them while on a long airplane flight. And to also backup your purchased, retail DVD's.

Needed Files:
DVDBackup 1.3 - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18599
DVD2OneX ($49.99 euro) - http://www.dvd2one.com/download.php
Toast Titanium (or other DVD burning software). (Version 5.2 used in this Tutorial)

Before beggining, let DVDPlayer play the movie to set the Region Code or to Verify the Region Code, then Run DVDBackup.

When you run DVDBackup drag the DVD/Movie Icon that's on your desktop into the box to add all the DVD Files to be decrypted. In the Region selection select your Region Code (USA is 1). (I have not tested the "Region Free" feature.)
By default everything is checkmarked to Remove Macrovision Protection and CSS Encryption, so leave those checked. Select "Process Files" choose your directory, let it create the new folder "VIDEO_TS".

After DVDBackup is complete you will then run DVD2OneX, you have to purchase ;) the full version or you will end up with only 30min of play in your DVD.

In DVD2OneX click the "Select" button and open the folder "VIDEO_TS" that you just created using DVDBackup.
A side popout window will open, select the Audio and Subtitles you wish to use. And about 99.9% of the time you will want Angle 1.

Copy-
Diskcopy: This is the entire DVD, which includes the Extras and Frills(menus, etc..) If you choose this in the Ratio select Variable.
Movie Only: This is neat, it'll copy only the movie, so when you burn the DVD as soon as you pop it in it plays the movie, no menu's, etc.. When you choose this, select Constant in the Ratio.

Now Select "Start". Do NOT use the same VIDEO_TS folder the DVDBackup files are in, choose a different directory and make another VIDEO_TS folder!
After that's finished you can delete the files DVDBackup created, all you need now is the files DVD2OneX created.

Use the DVD Burning software of your choice and use the programs "Help" and search for the how-to on burning the DVD.

Make sure you leave all the files inside the VIDEO_TS folder when using your DVD Burning Software! ScreenShot attatched.

Remove any hidden files such as .DS_Store

Your DVD should work in most stand-alone DVD players.

sKaD

toast.txt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
nice work now all i need is an external superdrive (or i could get a nice g5 with a superdrive)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
trpnmonkey41 said:
nice work now all i need is an external superdrive (or i could get a nice g5 with a superdrive)

Get the G5 ;)

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
when you said, "let idvd play the movie", do you mean the whole movie or just a little of the movie to get the region code?

thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
also, how long does this process take?

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
sadida31 said:
also, how long does this process take?

You don't have to let iDVD play the whole movie, just a little part of it so it can verify the region code.

Speed varries on your computer. Took me an hour and a half, but supposivly there might be a faster why to do it (CloneDVD) but I don't think that's out for Mac.

sKaD

Z

Zimmerb61

Thanks!

Thanks for the instructions, works like a charm, have had little problems!

BLZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
letting it play in Apple DVD player will also verify the region code

Z

Zimmerb61

Panter and this software combination

I have just bought the Panter update but have not installed it yet. Just woundering if anyone who has installed it and tested DVD back up and DVDXzone? Does all still work under panter? Just woundering?

Barry

Z

Zimmerb61

Error message

So far, I have had no problem backing-up my DVD Movie collection, untill now. I ran DVDback-up and then used DVDXzone, then went to burn with Toast (5.2) I get and error message says I don't have enough free space? 4.4 needed, 4.4 available? has anyone else run into this?

Barry

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Zimmerb61 said:
So far, I have had no problem backing-up my DVD Movie collection, untill now. I ran DVDback-up and then used DVDXzone, then went to burn with Toast (5.2) I get and error message says I don't have enough free space? 4.4 needed, 4.4 available? has anyone else run into this?

Barry

I haven't recieved Panther yet, so no, I haven't ran into that problem.

Is it talking about hard disc space? If so, you will most likely need to free more than the minimum amount wanted.

If it's talking about your DVD-R then maybe you should check and make sure it's not already written on.

sKaD

R

rg0828

This is a great tutorial for a beginner like me.

However i am having difficulties. I follow the instructions using DVDbackup andDVD2oneX, but when it comes to burning the DVD i still cannot get the DVD player to automatically play the movie. (The only way i can view the movie is if i use "file open" VIDEO_TS in the DVD2oneX folder i created. (I am using Disc Blaze version 2 DVD burning software)

Has anyone got any idea what i am doing wrong ?

My machine is G5 1.8mhz 1GB RAM with Sony Superdrive.

Regards
rg0828

sKaD said:
For Mac OS X
----------------

Legal Info (in plain english):
--------------------
This tutorial is intended to let you exercise your "fair use" rights under copyright law to either "time-shift" or "space-shift" DVD content which you may have purchased legitimately. An example of time-shifting would be to temporarily store the data from a DVD you rented so as to watch it at a later time after you have returned the disc (and avoided late fees!). An example of space-shifting would be to copy one or more DVD discs to your laptop hard drive so as to watch them while on a long airplane flight. And to also backup your purchased, retail DVD's.

Needed Files:
DVDBackup 1.3 - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18599
DVD2OneX ($49.99 euro) - http://www.dvd2one.com/download.php
Toast Titanium (or other DVD burning software).

Before beggining, let iDVD play the movie to set the Region Code or to Verify the Region Code, then Run DVDBackup.

When you run DVDBackup drag the DVD/Movie Icon that's on your desktop into the box to add all the DVD Files to be decrypted. In the Region selection select your Region Code (USA is 1). (I have not tested the "Region Free" feature.)
By default everything is checkmarked to Remove Macrovision Protection and CSS Encryption, so leave those checked. Select "Process Files" choose your directory, let it create the new folder "VIDEO_TS".

After DVDBackup is complete you will then run DVD2OneX, you have to purchase ;) the full version or you will end up with only 30min of play in your DVD.

In DVD2OneX click the "Select" button and open the folder "VIDEO_TS" that you just created using DVDBackup.
A side popout window will open, select the Audio and Subtitles you wish to use. And about 99% of the time you will want Angle 1.

Copy-
Diskcopy: This is the entire DVD, which includes the Extras and Frills(menus, etc..) If you choose this in the Ratio select Variable.
Movie Only: This is neat, it'll copy only the movie, so when you burn the DVD as soon as you pop it in it plays the movie, no menu's, etc.. When you choose this, select Constant in the Ratio.

Now Select "Start". Do NOT use the same VIDEO_TS folder the DVDBackup files are in, choose a different directory and make another VIDEO_TS folder!
After that's finished you can delete the files DVDBackup created, all you need now is the files DVD2OneX created.

Use the DVD Burning software of your choice and use the programs "Help" and search for the how-to on burning the DVD.

Make sure you leave all the files inside the VIDEO_TS folder when using your DVD Burning Software! ScreenShot attatched.

Your DVD should work in most stand-alone DVD players.

sKaD

toast.txt

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
rg,

I'm a little confused on what you mean.

Are you talking about putting it back inside your G5 and having it automatically playing after you burned a DVD? Or are you having problems burning it and having it play on standard DVD players?

How did the burn process go? Did you go semi-like the picture and title the DVD with no spaces, all capitals(not necessary I don't think) and put the VIDEO_TS folder in there and also, delete any invisible files .dbstore or something similar.

Did the burn complete? What happens when you put the DVD back inside the drive after it did? Do you get the DVD Icon on your desktop?

Thanks,

sKaD

C

ckny

skad, GREAT tutorial. I just tried following it step by step and got the same error message that zimmerb61 got.

I ripped the hulk using dvdbackup and used dvd2onex to create the video_ts folder. Now following your instructions I loaded up toast 5.1 and created a new DVD called THE_HULK and added VIDEO_TS to the project.

Now in the VIDEO_TS folder in toast it lists 36 items. When I click record I get an error message saying

"There's not enough gree space on this disc: 2312904 sectors (4.4 GB) are needed, 2295106 sectors (4.4 GB) are available."

Does VIDEO_TS include unnecessary files that need to be deleted before recording? I noticed your screen shot of two towers showed only 10 items but I have 36!

Here's a list of all the items in VIDEO_TS that were added to Toast:

.DS_Store
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB
VTS_02_0.BUP
VTS_02_0.IFO
VTS_02_0.VOB
VTS_02_1.VOB
VTS_03_0.BUP
VTS_03_0.VOB
VTS_03_1.VOB
VTS_04_0.BUP
VTS_04_0.IFO
VTS_04_0.VOB
VTS_04_1.VOB
VTS_05_0.BUP
VTS_05_0.IFO
VTS_05_0.VOB
VTS_05_1.VOB
VTS_06_0.BUP
VTS_06_0.IFO
VTS_06_0.VOB
VTS_06_1.VOB
VTS_07_0.BUP
VTS_07_0.IFO
VTS_07_0.VOB
VTS_07_1.VOB

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. =) Thanks!

C

ckny

update

I recoded the hulk using dvd2onex and this time i chose film mode so it deletes the unnecessary stuff. now i only have those 10 items and it seems like it will fit. however after hitting the record button it says "disc write failed". what brand dvd's are you guys recording on? i tried with two brand new tdk dvd-r's and this is the error i got. however then i popped in an apple dvd r and it seems to be writing no problem as we speak. we'll see how it turns out.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
The only thing I can think of is you are using the same VIDEO_TS folder DVDBackup created and not the one DVD2OneX made.

Also, it depends on how long the movie is and if it has special features, etc..

Sometimes a DVD just wont fit onto one DVD-R thus the reason for copying the movie only. Which is basically all you really need when you make a backup, since you'll still have the original.

Also, you can make 2 DVD-Rs..

One with the movie only and the other with the special features.

sKaD

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Also, take a screen shot of your problems, I'm having a bad time figuring out what you problem is, since I've never actually had a problem like that.

sKaD

Also make sure you have the most recent versions of DVD2OneX and DVDBackup

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have used Apple DVD-Rs and Imation DVD-Rs. I am getting ready to try Fuji DVD+R and DVD+RW. I have a Lacie DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW burner. I have had no problems with the DVD-R. The only thing I did was use 1X to burn.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I had read some where that Panther will support DVD+R and DVD+RW. For those that have Panther is this true. I have not purchase Panther as of yet.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I also heard that panther supports +R's as well..

:shrugs:

sKaD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.