Shared file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
Hello, I'm new to this forum and just recently got this macbook. And I have a question when I open Finder there is this area for Shared files and when I click on get info its connected to a PC server.. I was wonder what is it since I have no clue and sometimes it's there and at other times it isn't. Is there a way to get ride of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
whats the name of the PC Server? Is it Thomson (or Thompson, i cant remember)? Because i've heard of this occasionally coming up on macs although i cant remember why.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
nope it's your- then a bunch of numbers it doesn't appear right now but the only time it appears is when i have my pc on at the same time as my mac.

Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What is the network name of your PC?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
network name on my pc? (i have no idea, computers just ain't my thing. but i did catch on to this mac pretty fast.) how do i find the pc networks name. by chance i may already know what it is but how do i find it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I think you can right click on "My Computer" and click on Properties then click on the 'Computer Name' tab. It has, however, been a while :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
it sounds like it is your PC "broadcasting" it's name to your home network. It is the way windows communicates. You may find that even after you turn off the PC that the name will still be there for a few minutes. It is harmless and pretty normal for a home network. You can use it to share folders between your PC and Mac...All you have to do is turn on file sharing on the windows computer (or the Mac...or both and make sure they are password/login protected). If you do this and you are on a wireless network, make sure you read the instructions that came with your router and secure your network first. Nothing is more enticing (sp?) to your local hacker/cracker/script-kiddies than an unsecured network with open shared folders...why i remember just wandering in to some gals un-password protected file share at a coffee shop once and the pics....err...well never mind...you get my drift....

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
I think you can right click on "My Computer" and click on Properties then click on the 'Computer Name' tab. It has, however, been a while :)

thanks. i found the my pc's computer name and it is not the same numbers as the shared file on my mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.