New MBP.. 64 or 32 bit windows?

Reaction score
I want to play the orange box through steam on my MBP, so I'm going to install a version of windows xp through boot camp.

I heard that Apple finally got 64 bit drivers installed on the Apple install discs. Is this true? And should I even go 64 bit or stick with 32?

I'm thinking 64 bit so I can utilize the full amount of RAM in my computer and hardware might run the graphics a bit faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Stick with 32-bit. The drivers are more mature, which means fewer hardware issues compared to 64-bit, and you won't see any performance benefit with 64-bit if you just want to play games.

I can understand the desire to fully utilize the 4GB of RAM, but you'll be limited by the graphics card way before a lack of RAM becomes an issue. Plus, 3.3GB is plenty for games.

OP
G
Reaction score
Stick with 32-bit. The drivers are more mature, which means fewer hardware issues compared to 64-bit, and you won't see any performance benefit with 64-bit if you just want to play games.

I can understand the desire to fully utilize the 4GB of RAM, but you'll be limited by the graphics card way before a lack of RAM becomes an issue. Plus, 3.3GB is plenty for games.
Stock is 2GB, haven't upgraded yet. So if 3.3 is from 4, would I be getting something like 1.3 from 2?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Stock is 2GB, haven't upgraded yet. So if 3.3 is from 4, would I be getting something like 1.3 from 2?

There is no advantage to running 64-bit unless you have a need to address more than 3GB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Haha, no, it doesn't work that way. The maximum addressable RAM by a 32-bit OS is 3.3GB. It's not a percentage thing, so if you had 2GB installed, you would be able to use all 2GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Actually guys... I run 32-bit on my laptop and 64-bit on my desktop(Vista)... There is no difference, the 64-bit runs quite a bit smoother actually and the drivers are indifferent. If it says 64-bit then it's for 64-bit, if it says 32-bit then it's for 32-bit. And when it comes to drivers, the main drivers you have to worry about are your video drivers, nVidia and ATi both make drivers labeled for 32-bit or 64-bit usage.

You might as well go with Vista, your Macbook will have no problem with it. Since it is Vista, go ahead and get the 64-bit, The Orange Box and Steam both run on it without a hitch. I think Steam runs better on Vista x64 than it did when I had my old PC with XP x86. Unless you are messing with these crappy applications made by some foreigner from a third world country in Visual Basic, you will have no problem with program compatibility.

And the overly obsessive Mac fans here will probably attempt to tell you how "bad" Vista is. They haven't a clue because they've probably never experienced it first hand. They'd prefer to get it the 'he said, she said' method.

My vote goes to 64-bit Vista...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.