iMac or MacBook + monitor (Making the switch)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am just days away from making the switch from pc to Mac, however so close to my switch I am having doubts about what to go for....

I currently use a sony vaio laptop and I was all set on going for the top end iMac and just use my vaio if need be when mobile. However, something has made me doubt myself and now I am thinking mayb I should go for the macbook + monitor....? any opinions?

Am I restricting myself my getting the iMac..?

I am a web designer/graphic designer/web developer/keen photographer

thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
IMO, you would be better served by purchasing the best iMac that you can afford and use it for your professional work. Even if you were to purchase the best MacBook Pro and a large monitor, you would still be restricted to doing your design work at home or the office where the external monitor could be deployed. Keep the Sony for those days when you need portability.

If there's an Apple store nearby, stop in and play around with both machines. That will give you a better feel for what you need.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
if you need to be portable then choose the macbook, however if you don't then you can choose the iMac. The macbook costs more because its portable, therefore your choice should be based on portability vs spec

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for the replies, I think from a value and power point of view the iMac is the best option. 3.06 core duo and 4GB memory and 512mb graphics card......nice. then I have my old laptop to do me until I can afford a cheap macbook to partner my iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black and MacBooky I guess
Why an iMac maybe a MacBook Pro Will do you fine

OP
A
Reaction score
its down to cost, for theprice of the top end mac pro, I can get the top end imac with 4gb memory and a nice 24inch screen, plus have change for nice printer... I realise laptops are more $ but I just don't want to end up wanting to upgarde again in a couple of years...i'm hoping a imac top end will lastr me for years to come you know, and i like a big screen to work on

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.