Partition problems, new user, please help!!

Reaction score
Hey there

I'm fairly new to macs but recently purchased a 2.4 macbook from the apple website. Upon arrival i decided to setup which went great.

Then the problems started.

I tried installing Windows XP using the Boot Camp Assistant and all was going well, until it restarted giving me the dreaded disk error (i used a service pack 1 CD the first time, only hearing about the problems when it was too late!).

I restarted the mac holding the C key down and attempted to delete the windows partition which had been created. Afterwards i seemed to be able to log back into leopard without any problems but i noticed that the hard drive had shrunk.

I reattempted a Windows installation using the service pack 2 disk this time and again this failed.

After calling apple they got me to erase all data on the 'Mac HD' and then do a fresh install of Leopard.

I've just finished this, and my 160gb hard drive 'Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00' is now claiming it has a capacity of 149.05. I believe this is fairly normal right?

However.. below that in the 'about my mac' listing is 'Mac HD' with a capacity of 137.88, and 120.17 available after the fresh leopard install.

From what i've read this isn't normal at all, and it's also been suggested that there are bits and pieces of the Windows partitions still left on my Macbook.

As i'm new to all this, i have no idea what to do about it. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as i spent alot of money on this machine in the hope that i would be problem free!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect when you erased the drive (partition, format, and install Leopard) you didn't completely clean the drive, or maybe did not select "GUID" for the partitioning scheme. That might have left some or all of the Boot Camp partition intact.

Start over (again :Grimmace: ) by booting from Leopard disk 1, and select the disk utility from the top menu. Erase the drive and partition it as one partition. Select the GUID scheme and make sure it's formatted to HFS+. Install Leopard.

The 160 Gb drive will yield approximately 149 Gb when it is formatted. A complete Leopard install including the Apple apps will take up around 16 - 18 Gb. That means you should have around 133 Gb available.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.