Boot Camp Problems

Reaction score
I am useless went it comes to computers. I thought id get that out of the way right off the bat. I recently bought a a mac book pro but want to run windows. However, i ran into a problem. Here's how it played out:
1. went to bootcamp from menu bar
2. set a partition to 200 for windows and the rest to mac. which left about 11 gb free for os x.
3. the mac did its thing
4. told me to restart
5. held power key until it shut off
6. turn mac back on
7. window popped up saying something about an app running or whatever
8. go back to bootcamp
9. brings me back to the partition screen but only shows 5 gb for windows and 6 for mac
10. i decide this must be part of the process and click partition again
11. mac does its thing
12. finishes but this time it says there is a problem and to go to disk utility
13. i am lost
i read a bunch of threads but nothing worked for me. whatever info you can give would mean alot to me. and remember i dont know much about computers and this is my first mac. thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to start all over....:Oops:

Boot the new Mac with your Leopard install disk (disk one). Select disk utility from the top menu and partition the MBP as one partition using GUID and format it to HFS +. Then install Leopard. OK, you should be back to square one like before you attempted to install Windows.

Be sure to print out and read the Boot Camp instructions. (It's a PDF file.)

Do not create such a large Windows partition as you did before. Why do you need 200 Gb to run Windows? The 11 Gb of free space left for OS X is not enough.

Are you installing XP or Vista? XP, even with applications and games installed should probably be limited to around 20 Gb or so. Vista around 32 Gb.

If all this is confusing to you, I suggest you take your new MBP to an Apple store nearby and have one of the tech persons there help you out and where you can receive on the spot advice.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.