Is it possible to connect my Samsung Soul mobile to my MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.4 GHz, 2 GB
My new phone- a Samsung Soul, comes with PC software only- boo! anyone know if there's a way of hooking it up to my macbook?
Thank you in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sure, why not? The Soul has Bluetooth and USB, both of which your MacBook support. The software is only needed if you wish to sync up your contacts, calendar appointments, and address book with something like MS Outlook for Windows.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying. I've tried connecting it via USB but the macbook doesn't recognise it. I've been in to the utilities bit and it's not there either. Why doesn't it read it like it would a camera? Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
have you tried hooking it up to a pc .....without the software? just to make sure there arent any settings on the phone you're meant to change etc. But yes you're right, it should at least read it as an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
In order to use my phone with my macbook I have to enable a setting on my phone. the setting is called USB mass storage device. This allows your phone to be seen as a normal external drive when connected via USB.

Therefore look for an option such as USB Mass storage device then connect your phone via USB.

You can also send data such as pictures, contacts etc via bluetooth. However sending songs via bluetooth is not the best idea because it can be very slow…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Google and download an application called bitpim. It will probably talk to your phone either via bluetooth (slowly) or over USB. I use it to import address book entries, memos, and ringtones into my Verizon (notorious for not supporting Macs or self-made ringtones) LG VX8300 phone.

Good luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. Am going to try those last two suggestions. Will let you know.
Tried bluetoothing (is that a verb? probably not) a tune and it took 10 minutes!
Not really an option!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, bluetooth is pretty slow. Also when it's talking to the phone my bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse become impossible to use so I have to shut them off and go internal for the time that I'm transferring the stuff to the phone. Phone sucks up all the bandwidth.

I didn't have to buy a USB cable (which the phone didn't come with, only a charger) however so I put up with it during those few times I need to interact with the phone.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hooray! Changing the phone's setting to USB mass storage seems to have worked. Fingers crossed. Now happily dragging over some cool tunes!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh bum... phone says all images, videos and tunes are of an invalid file type. Back to square 1!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
check out the manuals that came with your phone to see what image, video and audio formats it supports.

the image format it should support is jpeg as its the most widely used
the audio format is should support is .mp3 as its the most widely used

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.