good digital camera for Mac ?

Reaction score
I have a new imac 24'' using OS X 10.5.3

What are some good digital camera brands and models that will work with it for about 200-250 dollars?

I mainly want good still photos (8-10+ megapixel) but do want video,SDHC card,good battery ,charger etc.

Thanks,
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Reaction score
I would have to say the canon line. Top two brands I would say are Canon and Nikon. My dad works for Canon so I am a little biased and i have only owned Canon but ive tried other cameras such as sony, casio, and nikon. I think they all pretty much suck compared to Canon.

Im guessing you are looking for a Point and shoot camera. Canon's powershot digital elph line is phenomenal and ratings and reviews show it. Their menu system rocks and is very easy to use. It's a quality camera and canon knows what they are doing.

I bought my gf a canon sd750 which is i think by far one of the best cameras i have seen from the elph line. I could not be any happier with it. you can probably find it for 150-200 perhaps a lot cheaper if refurb or used.

What i like the most specifically about this particular model is the fact that it has a 3.0 inch screen. I believe as you go higher in the elph series like the sd1000 or what not they have smaller 2.5 inch screens. You can use SD cards, and from what ive noticed from the elphs i have owned, the battery life is incredible. Video Quality is pretty great as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would imagine every camera would work on a Mac.

I would also recommend anything made by Canon for your price range. The SD750 is a phenomenal camera (I personally own three SD series cameras, with my brother and sister also owning SD series, the former has a SD750). It also supports SDHC cards :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a new imac 24'' using OS X 10.5.3 What are some good digital camera brands and models that will work with it for about 200-250 dollars?

Fuji?

Just out of curiosity, I note that the question about good/suitable/compatible/recommended digital cameras pops up regularly on various Mac forums. Given that the majority of forum contributors are in/from USA, is the Fuji brand of camera not well-known or well-regarded over there?

Fuji is NZ's biggest-selling digicam, while Canon languishes in 4th place.

z4k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2GB of Ram!
Canon SD1100 IS HAnds Down Amazing Camera!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
MP <> good still images.

I had an 8mp 1mb jpeg (it was edited to my printing company's specifications) file blown up to 30"x45". It was amazingly crisp and sharp. I'm the one that did all the work, my camera just captured the image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mbp
i have a great history with canon..with or without mac.
www.dpreview.com is also a good website to read up on reviews for a deciding factor.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another vote for Canon. They are excellent cameras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Another vote here for the Canon SD750.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 4GB 320HD,4TH GEN 8GB SILVER NANO, 8GB Black Nano, 16GB 2G iPod Touch
I just purchased the Canon Powershot TX-1 and it works great with my new 24"iMac I did not even need to use the Canon software cd I just plugged it in and BAM! iPhoto recognized it right away.This takes awesome still photos and the video camera is great for making HD Movies just make sure you buy at least a 8GB memory card with your purchase.If your interested I found the best price on Newegg.com and it is not refurbished.Trust me I was a little undecided because it was only a 7.1 MP but I am extremely happy with the quality of pictures and the shutter speed is really quick also

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
for that price range, i'd say canon as well.

you typically have to go more expensive to get something decent from the likes of nikon, panasonic, olympus, sony, or fuji.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Another vote for the Canon SD 1100. I do not use the Canon software, but connect the camera with a card reader. Any Canon would be a good choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think that Canon has some sort of partnership with Apple, or they endorse each other's products in some way. I would take almost any Canon camera, like the SD 1100, that's one of my favourites.

Reaction score
I have a new imac 24'' using OS X 10.5.3

What are some good digital camera brands and models that will work with it for about 200-250 dollars?

I mainly want good still photos (8-10+ megapixel) but do want video,SDHC card,good battery ,charger etc.

Thanks,
Brian

If you want to but best digital camera as per your requirement then check this site for Digital Camera from where you can find different different type of digital camera and its reviews here is the web site link

http://alatest.com/reviews/digital-compact-camera-reviews/c3-147/

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Your question is which camera will work best with a Mac - Any digital camera will work with a Mac that has a USB port. Your camera is essentially acting as a USB card reader when plugged into the Mac. That is all.

Now which is the best for around $250? That's a tough call. Cheapest isn't always worst, and most expensive isn't always best.

The best thing is to read reviews, try out in-store demos, navigate the menu and snap pictures to see how you like it's ease of use. I can tell you, while I liked the use of the Sony Cybershot cameras, east of menu & features, the wait time to snap a picture was painful. Took forever to charge the flash (and while using photo lithium batteries too). My experience is based on owning a DSC-P72 (4.1MP) and DSC-H5 (7.2 MP, 12x Zoom).

And while you can shoot video with a lot of still image digital cameras, don't expect the best video recording quality

I eventually had the desire to shoot amateur/pro and finally broke down and went DSLR a few months back with a Nikon D80 w/18-200mm VR II lens - never looked back.

Let us know what you decide on.

-Ian

My Shots

Reaction score
I would imagine every camera would work on a Mac.

I would also recommend anything made by Canon for your price range. The SD750 is a phenomenal camera (I personally own three SD series cameras, with my brother and sister also owning SD series, the former has a SD750). It also supports SDHC cards :D

Not Sony. I have a Sony SuperCyberShot DSC-t100. A great camera, but audio does not transfer to IMovie with video when downloaded to my Mac. I have to download to my PC and convert the files to AVI (very time-consuming) before transferring them to my Mac. I just bought the latest Panasonic Lumix, which is a very cool camera for a lot of reasons, but the audio wasn't loud enough to hear well on IMovie unless the sound is generated within a couple of feet of the very badly located microphone. I returned it, reluctantly. I am still searching for the "perfect" little point-and-shoot (which would shoot 780 HD) that picks up audio as clearly as my Cybershot. It's tough, because during my exhaustive research before buying the Lumix no review ever mentioned dissatisfaction with the audio levels.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.