Battery Use, Widgets and Firefox

Reaction score
Hi. Just got my first mac computer ever. This is also my first laptop too. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but I have a few questions.

1. To keep the battery capacity high for the longest time possible, when and how should I charge my laptop? Should I keep it plugged in to an outlet as often as possible during use? Should I charge it to full and then let it drop to a certain point before charging again? Is it ok to keep it charging for a long time while off?

2. Where's the best place to find popular widgets? I found one site but it doesn't give me the top widgets. I really won't know what I want until I see it.

3. I just downloaded Firefox because I'm most comfortable using that browser. There is the icon in my dock to open the browser but there is also an icon on my desktop that looks like a disc drive with the Firefox logo on it. When I click on it it takes me to a small window with the Firefox logo and Application Folder logo on it. What is the purpose of this? And if it's not important how do I delete it off my desktop?

Thank you very much.

Edit: Also, what's the consensus on the iSkin for the Macbook? Is it worth it? Are there any similar products that are better?

And could anyone recommend a cool looking carrying case? Preferably one that can carry books too, like a backpack.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

Reaction score
To answer your first question, I don't really know about the battery. I've never really been too good with that stuff. But for number 2, I just get my widgets from apple.com, they have any that I want. And as for number 3, OSX uses whats called disk images to install programs. After you've put Firefox in your Applications folder, simply open up the finder and eject the program disk image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
1. I'm not overly sure on, I didn't take good care of my battery.
2. Have you tried the Apple site?
3. What you've got there is a disk image, mounted up. If you remember, when you downloaded firefox it was a .dmg file. When you double click on it, it opens and 'mounts' like you've stuck a CD in. The firefox logo is the application. You drag and drop this into your applications folder to install. They've stuck a shortcut to the applications folder in there to make things easy for you. Once you've done that you can drag the disk-looking thing to the trash to eject it, go to your applications folder and run firefox from there.

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Ahh, thanks a lot! For the battery I keep reading that I should charge till full and let it run to like 10% and then recharge. Then like once a month let the laptop run until it shuts down and charge it up. Helps prevent battery capacity degradation apparently.

And if anyone could help with the questions in my edit that'd be great.

Reaction score
Lithium-based batteries do not have memory, so you should be fine charging whenever you want to. There's overcharge protection too, so no problem keeping it topped up at 100%. If you're not going to use your computer for more than a couple of weeks, the recommendation is generally to store the battery at around 40-60% charge to maximize life.

If you REALLY want to maximize life, then don't keep your battery in the laptop until you need it. The heat from operation while on AC power will likely have the most effect on your battery life (aside from constantly using the battery). But asking people to remove the battery while on AC is a pretty tall order.

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Nice, thanks. And the computer came with that other power plug for a grounded connection when charging. Is what cases should I use this? Should I use it when ever possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
The best way to extend the life of your battery is to simply take no notice of it and use it however. That's what worked for me, after 400 cycles my battery health is still 100% which is remarkable considering that Apple say that your battery's capacity should deplete after about 300 cycles.

Here is a few tips

- I try to use my Macbook from the mains plug most of the time

- In a day use it from the battery about 1 or twice only.

- Once a month calibrate your battery, check this website to learn how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

- When charging your battery make sure you don't take the plug out until it has charge 100%

OP
BluR930
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'll try those tips. Could anyone help me with my other question.

The computer came with that other power plug for a grounded connection when charging. Is what cases should I use this? Should I use it when ever possible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.