Windows OEM and parallels

Reaction score
I currently run Windows XP Pro SP 2 on my mac book pro through parallels, which I purchased the full version of windows for this machine.

I am going to purchase 2 Imac's tomorrow to replace 2 PC's in my office.

1. Can I use the same windows disk to install on these computers and Can I transfer the licenses from these PC's to the window's on my new IMAC's.

I don't plan on using the other PC's again and they are not worth anything to sell, I just want to transfer the licenses.

I thought that when I purchased my original mac book pro, that I couldn't use the OEM software that I had, but reading some of the forum, I might be able to ???

Please help. I don't want to purchase any more versions of windows if I don't have to. Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I currently run Windows XP Pro SP 2 on my mac book pro through parallels, which I purchased the full version of windows for this machine.

I am going to purchase 2 Imac's tomorrow to replace 2 PC's in my office.

1. Can I use the same windows disk to install on these computers and Can I transfer the licenses from these PC's to the window's on my new IMAC's.

I don't plan on using the other PC's again and they are not worth anything to sell, I just want to transfer the licenses.

I thought that when I purchased my original mac book pro, that I couldn't use the OEM software that I had, but reading some of the forum, I might be able to ???

Please help. I don't want to purchase any more versions of windows if I don't have to. Thank you.

Unfortunately no, OEM-branded discs are typically tied to the hardware they're sold to both technically and legally.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Microsoft EULA is very specific about an OEM version of Windows (XP or Vista). It can only be installed on the machine it was purchased for or pre-installed on. OEM licenses can not be transferred.

Even if your copy was not OEM but a boxed MS copy (which can be transferred) you can not use the same disk and license to install XP on more than one machine without purchasing an additional license. IOW, you would need two PIDs.

Since you're going to purchase two iMacs to replace the PCs in your office wouldn't it make sense to purchase two OEM full copies of XP SP2 or Vista at the same time? It would after all be a business expense.

Regards.

OP
Q
Reaction score
My original intention was to purchase 2 new full versions, thinking that I could not use OEM versions. I figured I would ask before I purchased something that I didn't need.

I will see if I can find OEM versions instead of the full versions, but I don't want to purchase the wrong OEM version, since there are so many scams out there.

Do you know if I can just purchase additional licenses from Microsoft without having to purchase the full kit (disk, book, etc)? Trying to cut down on costs and waste on the environment.

Also, do you know if I can purchase additional licenses of parallels without having to purchase the packaging and disk?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My original intention was to purchase 2 new full versions, thinking that I could not use OEM versions. I figured I would ask before I purchased something that I didn't need.

I will see if I can find OEM versions instead of the full versions, but I don't want to purchase the wrong OEM version, since there are so many scams out there.

You *can* use an OEM version, but there are a few important distinctions. Firstly, it must be a non-branded OEM version, which are intended for system builders. Here is a good example.

Do you know if I can just purchase additional licenses from Microsoft without having to purchase the full kit (disk, book, etc)? Trying to cut down on costs and waste on the environment.

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft does that unless you are a large corporation and have a volume license agreement.

Also, do you know if I can purchase additional licenses of parallels without having to purchase the packaging and disk?

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to that, but I'm sure they have a multi-user license. I'd shoot their sales department an email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.